[Resolved] Magic Mouse + PPC G5 = Lag?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Orange Furball, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Orange Furball, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I updated everyting on m g5. Running leopard 10.5.8, with all the mouse software updated, and its very laggy.

What am i doing wrong?

thanks

2. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Are you using a built in bluetooth receiver or a USB dongle? I use a USB dongle and if it's too far away (which is more than a couple feet or so) it gets REALLY lagish.

3. Orange Furball, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

im only about 7 inches away from he receiver. Ill put it in my USB hub 3 inches away and see.

EDIT: it worked. I guess its understandable when there is a foot thick of aluminum in the way

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Glad it worked. That's exactly what happened to me. I had to get a USB cable extension to put the USB dongle less than a foot or so away from my keyboard and mouse to avoid getting lag.

5. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Thanks for posting your solution. I'll have to remember this when I order another Magic Mouse for my PowerMac G5, which arrived this afternoon. :D

6. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Nice! Got mine two days ago! The mouse works well in leopard. Ill have to use something different for gaming though...

7. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I use my Magic Mouse for gaming on my Intel mini and it's workable for me. I can see how it's a bit of a pain, but I guess I've adjusted myself to it. I'm using my Mighty Mouse for general use and gaming at the moment, and will use a Magic Mouse once my new one arrives...

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

As to not open another thread... Can you use any cheap Bluetooth dongle? Specifically I want to ditch my IBM mouse for a Mighty Mouse I have sitting around unused.

9. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Yes I use some random rocket fish one. Just make sure its Mac compatible. Ebay is your best bet.

10. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I use a RocketFish adapter as well.

----------

For anyone that's interested: although Leopard doesn't "officially" support Momentum Scrolling, it's really easy to enable.

1)Open the Terminal

2)Copy/Paste
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse MouseMomentumScroll -bool true
    3)After pasting the above code, push enter, close the Terminal, head on over to System Preferences—>Keyboard & Mouse—>and uncheck then recheck the “scrolling” box. You should now be good to go.

11. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I think you are a God. I miss momentum scrolling so much.

12. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Well I think that's a bit of a stretch lol...but glad I could help. Also, check out the program Scroll Reverser if you want the Lion-esque scrolling experience. I wrote a short post about it on MyMacCollection.