[Resolved] Memory Slot 1 Reads "Empty", Possibly Dead Slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SylentSpeed, Dec 11, 2010.

1. SylentSpeed, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

SylentSpeed macrumors newbie

Problem solved!

Detailed Description
    Summary below

It's been a while since I've been to these forums but I've come across another issue.

I bought this refurbished Macbook from Apple on November 26, 2008 (model MB061LL/B).

It originally came with two 512MB RAM sticks. About two months ago, I finally bought two 1GB Crucial RAM sticks from Newegg.com

Upon installing the new RAM, I noticed it wasn't a perfect fit. I had to push in the RAM with quite some force until it clicked (which it never did). It fit, so that was good enough for me.

However, the L-bracket would no longer screw back into place unless I forced it to.

[​IMG]

In fact, the areas between the two outer screws and the inner screws bulged. Quite so that the battery would no longer fit comfortably after I replaced it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't think anything of it as I started using my Macbook now with 2GB of RAM.

[Side note: I took these pictures today to help illustrate]

Today, I came home and opened the lid. The screen stayed black. The white glowing light turned off.
    The Superdrive did not make the usual mechanical sound that it always makes whenever I wake up the Macbook or launch iMovie.
    It didn't respond to keyboard presses or even holding down the power button.

I pulled the battery and restarted.

An hour later and Firefox began hogging more memory than I felt comfortable with. I noticed I only had one 1GB of available RAM.
    System Profile reported that memory bank 0 was OK but memory bank 1 was empty.
    So I powered down, removed the battery, and started removing the L-bracket.

After a month or two of sustained pressure by the L-bracket and battery, I think the memory slots had enough. I can now just pull out the RAM sticks without even using the lever. They slip right out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Summary
    One memory slot reads empty on system profiler. Two 1GB memory sticks installed. They don't fit well; they slide right out.

[​IMG]

Why is this?

What can I do to solve this problem?

I searched for an answer and I can find people who experienced the same things.
    Will a PRAM/VRAM/SMC reset solve things? Is the logic board flawed?

Early thanks.

[Edit 1]Tried PRAM/NVRAM reset. No dice.
    [Edit 2] Problem solved, thanks guys.

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Looks like or something broke in the memory retention system (like a plastic tab) You have a problem with the logic board or the ram itself, there's more people complaining of dead memory slots in apple boards.

3. SylentSpeed, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

SylentSpeed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I switched the ram with ram that came stock and it still wouldn't register so it's probably the logic board.

Is it possible for the other ram slot to die?

I've heard that logic board replacements are rather costly. With a dead Super and other issues just waiting to surface for a two year old laptop, does it make more sense to buy a new laptop?

[Thanks Nermal for editing my pictures, I wasn't quite sure on how to resize them.]

I used to prop my macbook on four stacks of CD cases (each stack being 3 CD cases tall) as a cheap ventilation arrangement.
    Would that have any effect on the aforementioned memory retention system? It might possibly explain why I had a RAM failure just now after I propped up the macbook on the cases again.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Those ram modules are not fitted properly - they push into the slots and need a a good push, If you don't have white lines on end of your fingers you have not pushed them in far enough.

The L bracket does not fit properly because the modules are not far enough into the slot, The bracket has been enough to keep them in electrical contact (more or less) and so the MacBook has been working.

Push the modules back in. The slots are tight but press hard with 2 finger tips and I will be surprised if it does not work properly.....

5. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

checked with a friend of mine ("dead slot" issue also) removing the ram and cleaning the contacts with alcohol fixed it. But the ram really needs a push to get fully inserted.

6. SylentSpeed thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried what you said about pressing them in until I get white marks on my fingers. I surely thought I was going to break the components.
    Although the RAM doesn't click into place I booted up and both slots are reading now.

I don't think cleaning the contacts with alcohol would affect it since I tried different ram modules for the same slot and they still wouldn't register. However, I'll keep that in mind next time a problem occurs.

Many thanks for everyone's help!

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

They don't click into place - just push into place tho the slots can be very tight ....

Glad to hear both slots are working fine now !!!!