Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashyforth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Pennsylvania
So I recently purchased a Soundcraft 6 Channel (6 XLR & 2 Stereo) Mixer and I am in the process of also purchasing a digital audio interface (probably the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra) to run into a macbook. The trouble is, the mixer does not have DIRECT OUTS for each channel. I want to do multi-track on drums (to have each mic have an individual track in garage band). Can I run lines out of the INSERT jacks on my mixer into each quarter inch input on the Interface?

And if so... Will it cut the signal alot? and Will i lose quality?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So I recently purchased a Soundcraft 6 Channel (6 XLR & 2 Stereo) Mixer and I am in the process of also purchasing a digital audio interface (probably the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra) to run into a macbook. The trouble is, the mixer does not have DIRECT OUTS for each channel. I want to do multi-track on drums (to have each mic have an individual track in garage band). Can I run lines out of the INSERT jacks on my mixer into each quarter inch input on the Interface?

And if so... Will it cut the signal alot? and Will i lose quality?

If you did that then you'd only be using the mixer as a set of six cheap pre-amps. It would not be a mixer as that function would happen in GB.

But the Fast Track Ultra has four mic preamps built-in. Why not put four of your mics directly in the Ultra's XLR inputs. Then you can use the mixer's L and R outputs to feed the Utra' two remaining channels.

ashyforth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Pennsylvania
But the Fast Track Ultra has four mic preamps built-in. Why not put four of your mics directly in the Ultra's XLR inputs. Then you can use the mixer's L and R outputs to feed the Utra' two remaining channels.

Chris, thanks for the quick response. I understand what you mean about the mixer being only used for a preamp, however it would also help to EQ each mic a little better, wouldn't it?

and as for the Left and Right Outs on my mixer, i dont quite understand what you are saying. Run 4 mics direct to the interface and then run 2 more from the mixer (each panned left and right)?

Mattaut

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Chris, thanks for the quick response. I understand what you mean about the mixer being only used for a preamp, however it would also help to EQ each mic a little better, wouldn't it?

Why not just EQ in Garageband? If you EQ on the mixer, then that EQ will be permanent. Better to record the signal with as little changes as possible so you can always go back and change the EQ later if you need to. EQing on a mixer is mainly for analog recording. Also less circuitry means a better signal to noise ratio.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why not just EQ in Garageband? If you EQ on the mixer, then that EQ will be permanent. Better to record the signal with as little changes as possible so you can always go back and change the EQ later if you need to. EQing on a mixer is mainly for analog recording. Also less circuitry means a better signal to noise ratio.

First off are the incerts before or after the EQ stage? If they are before then it's all moot.

There is some advantage to doing the EQ before the A/D stage. Yes it is permanent but you reduce noise if you can bring the level up to the point where it uses the full dynamic range of the D-->A converter. I think you want to compromise and think about what is important

I think setting the EQ to zeroes does not reduce the about of circuitry. Unless you bypass the EQ you are still running through a few extra op amps.

That said, I bet the best sound will be had using the preamps on the m-audio interface unless you have a really nice mixer

About my comment to use the mixer's L and R outputs....

OK you have four mics going to the Utra's XLR jacks. Put two more mics in the mixer and pan one hard left and the other hard right. then send the mixer's stereo left to the Ultra's channel 5 and the mixer's right to Ultra's #6.

Using the stero out rather then the incerts lets you for sure use the mixer's EQ

ashyforth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Pennsylvania
Alright cool.
Thanks to the both of you for the help. I'l be sure to figure out if the EQ on the mixer is Pre or Post and do some research on M-Audio's Preamps on the Ultra.

Mattaut

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I think setting the EQ to zeroes does not reduce the about of circuitry. Unless you bypass the EQ you are still running through a few extra op amps.

I meant it reduces the amount of circuitry if you just take the mixer out the picture and go mic->interface->computer. What you said about getting the full dynamic range is true though, just don't go crazy with EQ before mixdown in garageband, make sure you don't cut/boost anything that you might possibly regret later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.