[Resolved]. Switching from UITableViewController, to new UITabBarController

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by StigProgram, Nov 14, 2012.

1. StigProgram, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

StigProgram macrumors newbie

I know that to go from one TableViewController, to a new TabBarController, you can use a "segue" from the Storyboard and add the following code:

Code:
    -(void)prepareForSegue:(UIStoryboardSegue *)segue sender:(id)sender{
        UITabBarController *tabController = (UITabBarController *) segue.destinationViewController;
        ViewController *vc = (ViewController *) [[tabController viewControllers] objectAtIndex:0];
    }
    But I cannot use either "segue", storyboard or method -prepareForSegue:sender:

My question is, how can I pass from TableViewController, to my new TabBarController by code?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why not?

3. StigProgram thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I use a custom cell to display a Gridview (with two columns). And its design is new .xib rather than in the storyboard. I have to push the new UITabBarController on the method - tableView: didSelectRowAtIndexPath:

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

You do have a storyboard though, correct?

Create a segue and then invoke it in code using UIViewController's performSegueWithIdentifier:sender:

Side Question... How can we make Xcode aware of if a segue identifier doesn't exist in the storyboard files? AFAIK, Xcode emits no warnings right now about it; your first indication of a typo is when the app crashes, right?

5. StigProgram thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

SOLVED. I used the method -performSegueWithIdentifier:sender: like you said ArtOfWarfare.

In the storyboard I control-drag from my source ViewController (Grid view) to my destination TabBarController.

In -didSelectRow method of my Grid I call -performSegueWithIdentifier:sender: thats trigger -prepareForSegue:sender: and so to implement the code necessary to complete the process