Resolved! (was: Stolen !!!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by McBob, Nov 24, 2007.

1. McBob macrumors member

Im am typing this on my girlfriends macbook mourning the loss of my almost 3 year old Powerbook G4. Last night whilst in my GF's dorm which is next door to my'n someone broke in through my window.

The crooks took my beloved Powerbook, brenthaven bag, brand new ipod touch, older ipod nano alum and my GF's new ipod nano. This happened within the space of 3 hours and i just cant believe it. I study at Newport University Of Wales and urge anyone thinking of coming here don't bring anything of value, the security is shocking.

I consider myself a but lucky since i also have a new 24" iMac, luckily to big to take out the window, its value saved it! At the moment i'm just hoping the insurance sorts it all out. Just need to bits of info if anyone can help?

How much did the original 4gb nano cost in GB sterlin (blue) when it came out, and does anybody have any idea or been in a similar situation regarding an insurance company paying out on older apple hard wear (my'n was almost 3 years old) and how much they got in comparison to retail price.

Anybody that can help will be greatly appreciated!!!

XxBob

2. recordprod macrumors member

Sorry to hear of the loss. I'd be careful as the scumbag(s) may be back for the other machine now he/they know it's there :(

3. japresl macrumors member

hopefully you are covered on your homeowners insurance or something like that...

...too bad that won't cover your pictures and files saved on your old one.

You live and learn that you can't trust 99% of the people in this world.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I take it you reported it to the police and got a crime number(s).

Who is your insurance with? I have heard that Endsleigh are very hard to get money out of, but if each item was listed with the cost then you should be alright.

Student halls are easy pickings and very plump. My halls was burgled but not my flat fortunately, however my car was nicked from the car park on a separate night.

Did you have your curtains open?

5. McBob thread starter macrumors member

Yep my curtains were open since it only happened late afternoon, i used to have nets up so people couldn't see in but the university said i had to take them down within one day or they would be taken.

Im off to Cardiff tomorrow to pick up some dead locks for my imac and what ever replacement i get for my laptop, will probably pick up a black macbook regardless of what payout i get. Also going to get black nano and not replace the touch and get an iphone since my contract has only a few months left.

As for back ups i was lucky since i doubled up everything on my imac and on an external which the thieves missed. Just really gutted since i was really attached my old Powerbook. Bought that with years worth of money when i was a good bit younger.

Planning on claiming off my parents home insurance since most the stuff was bought in their names/or is considered to be portables covered outside of the house. Juts got lots of paperwork and worry to do whilst i have some pretty major assignments due in before christmas.

Some pretty sad people in this world, i've always had such a positive outlook since i grew up in a small village in the valleys, but things have changed.

xxBob

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Good luck with that, I have found that most insurance you have to specifically add laptops to and pay an extra premium for. It is best to have your own contents insurance for exactly these reasons. To be honest I wouldn't be too hopefully of a payout but then again you know more about the exact insurance cover.

7. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

I had a 4 year old dell inspiron 8500 laptop stolen out of my car while traveling home from college at an interstate hotel and made an insurance claim under homeowners insurance. Filing a police report is key for your insurance claim. The person who stole my laptop left a wallet from another person he robbed in my car too which helped prove it a clear case of theft for the insurance company when looking at the police report. I ended up getting back about $800 which I used towards the purchase of my current mbp. Try this website to see about how much your computer is worth since that is what insurance will cover. http://www.mac2sell.net/

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Terrible news for sure. Sorry to hear. Good luck with your insurance.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a few other members of MacRumors... the only thing I have to say is:

I TOLD YOU SO... DESKTOPS ARE MORE SECURE!

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

For College, I purchased a Mac for each of my nephews. Their choice was a consumer Mac at the time. So it was an iBook or iMac. Both chose the iMac for security in the dorm.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I should have done that myself when I went to college. I got my iBook G4 stolen. A friend of mine got his room robbed as well, and his roommate lost his Dell Inspiron, but he kept his 20" white iMac.

A few years ago in the computer lab stuffed with Power Macs a girl lost her 15" laptop, but the $3000 Power Macs that cost 4 times at much stayed put.

Before anyone posts about how they object... you are free to do so, but I won't dispute or argue my point because it have been done in other threads to death.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep. Unfortunately, laptops can quickly and easily disappear when you least expect it.

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yeah, a laptop is several times more likely to be nabbed than a desktop, simply because no normal thief can run away with a tower. That said, I vastly prefer laptops to desktops, and will continue to run the risk for the convenience of being able to type entries like these from my bed.

14. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I have to disagree with this. I think that's a ridiculous and cynical belief to have. It's the minority of people in this world that lie and cheat and steal and do bad things. The majority of people are not evil, despite what you may believe ...

15. McBob thread starter macrumors member

Resolved

Well for any of you that read my older thread regarding the theft i incured:

Stolen !!!
    Im am typing this on my girlfriends macbook mourning the loss of my almost 3 year old Powerbook G4. Last night whilst in my GF's dorm which is next door to my'n someone broke in through my window.

The crooks took my beloved Powerbook, brenthaven bag, brand new ipod touch, older ipod nano alum and my GF's new ipod nano. This happened within the space of 3 hours and i just cant believe it. I study at Newport University Of Wales and urge anyone thinking of coming here don't bring anything of value, the security is shocking.

I consider myself a but lucky since i also have a new 24" imac, luckily to big to take out the window, its value saved it! At the moment i'm just hoping the insurance sorts it all out. Just need to bits of info if anyone can help?

How much did the original 4gb nano cost in GB sterlin (blue) when it came out, and does anybody have any idea or been in a similar situation regarding an insurance company paying out on older apple hard wear (my'n was almost 3 years old) and how much they got in comparison to retail price.

Anybody that can help will be greatly appreciated!!!

XxBob

Im happy to say that the situation has been resolved, on the insurance side of things anyway. As for the theft it self the police have closed the case and nothing was found, no surprise there. Im not pi***d with the police at all they were very helpful, just the University who are yet to fix my window more than a month on.

Anyway made a claim through my home insurance with Directline who were great to deal with and didn't quibble the claim at all. I've just been contacted and will be receiving:

• 2.2 Macbook Pro + mighty mouse vs. 1.33 Powerbook + old mouse
    • Brnthaven Metro II vs Fusin Flex
    • Ipod Touch
    • Ipod Nano 2g alu vs 1g alu
    • Unreal Tournament 3 vs 2004

So after quite a bit of grief i guess things have worked out o.k. in the end, and luckily i had all my information backed up so i haven't lost out at all.

All thats left to say is "good bye Powerbook, we had some good time"
    (small chip below keyboard on right, if any of you buy it on ebay etc look after it for me!)

Robxx

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That's great it was resolved. That really sucks when something like that happens though. Good Luck!

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Threads merged.

Congrats on a cash resolution.

18. je1ani macrumors 6502

ur sick

19. JudasX macrumors newbie

just my personal opinion...all serious laptop users (especially students!) should invest in Undercover. It is a brilliant piece of software that runs seamlessly in the desktop backround. In a time of need, it can GPS locate your book and also freeze the hard drive so thieves cannot enjoy what isn't theirs!!!

for a one time fee, it provides a secure feeling knowing that your powerbook is in good hands. Plus...you could try a lock and even a simple free app like iAlertU or something.It may not help now...but in the future.

Good luck bro. I hope they get you some money back!