Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Have iphone X from my son being given to my wife.

A1901/MQAJ2LL/A

Unlocked, he was using on AT&T

Wife has iPhone 6 which was also from our son, and was on AT&T. We put it on Verizon a couple years ago.

I put the our 6's Verizon sim into the X and it said sim not supported.

I had issues getting a 7 from my older son being given to his brother last year. But, that was, I believe, modem related, specific to the 7. We wound up getting an iPhone 8 for him.

Am I going to have issues putting this X on Verizon? Going to store tomorrow and trying to get educated on possible issues, if any.

We currently have 3 iPhones on Verizon.

Thanks

HAPPY HOLIDAYS----

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
Have iphone X from my son being given to my wife.

A1901/MQAJ2LL/A

Unlocked, he was using on AT&T

Wife has iPhone 6 which was also from our son, and was on AT&T. We put it on Verizon a couple years ago.

I put the our 6's Verizon sim into the X and it said sim not supported.

I had issues getting a 7 from my older son being given to his brother last year. But, that was, I believe, modem related, specific to the 7. We wound up getting an iPhone 8 for him.

Am I going to have issues putting this X on Verizon? Going to store tomorrow and trying to get educated on possible issues, if any.

We currently have 3 iPhones on Verizon.

Thanks

HAPPY HOLIDAYS----

A1901 model X is not compatible with any CDMA carrier (Verizon or Sprint). Does not have the right hardware for it.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Thanks for the replies.

I have subsequently used Verizon's IMEI checker and inputted Sim number. Also, chatted. Seems I just need a new sim. Will do that tomorrow.

I remember after researching this today read same things a couple years ago. In LTE area, no issue. I have never since being with Verizon been out of an LTE area. So, she should be good.

Thanks Again---

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

I have subsequently used Verizon's IMEI checker and inputted Sim number. Also, chatted. Seems I just need a new sim. Will do that tomorrow.

I remember after researching this today read same things a couple years ago. In LTE area, no issue. I have never since being with Verizon been out of an LTE area. So, she should be good.

Thanks Again---
Yea the SIM is probably older and doesn't support VoLTE. Just won't be able to talk with the new SIM if you are out of LTE range.

Reactions: rugmankc

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
new problem, being worked on

son bought this x from apple as usual. but when added to his att account they must have locked it.

so even though verizon added this to my account this morning, when i got home to finish adding wifi, etc it said sim not supported. after Chat they feel x is still locked to att. son is trying to get it unlocked. what a crap day lol

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
I’m not aware ATT is even allowed to lock an already unlocked phone. Based on what I’m reading, someone suggests BestBuy sells universally unlocked iPhones, but as soon as you activate a simcard on the phone it gets locked to that carrier.

I never ever buy devices from ATT anymore, even if I don’t intend to use it on their network. I have so much bad experience with them and catches that they put on their devices.

Hidden fees for stop using their service even when I paid full price for the device. On Android, ATT devices can not receive OTA updates without having an ATT sim, they don’t release firmware so you can’t flash the phone in case there’s a problem. On certain prepaid services that use ATT network, I can’t get MMS to work work iPhone no matter what, there’sa special fee the prepaid service have to pay ATT I think.

For now, aside from unlocked, Verizon phones is best because the phone is unlocked after activated on their network for 60 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
The 6 my wife has was given to her a couple years and had no problem adding it to att then. I do remember a few years back similar complaints on att locking universal phones after customer added it to the att account. Gonna have to wait the 24-48 hours and see what happens after my son gets the notification from att it is unlocked.

To make the day perfect my other son bought a new motherboard, fan, ram, ssd to upgrade his computer. He built that too. For some reason he needed to re-install Windows. That did not work. So, he and his brother are troubleshooting that. Can't wait to get back to work tomorrow--May be less stressful :)

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Almost 48 hours since unlock request to ATT by my son. No response.

Can ATT unlock the iPhone if Verizon already added it to my account?

Would I get "Sim Not Supported" message on screen if the sim was bad?

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
A1901 model X is not compatible with any CDMA carrier (Verizon or Sprint). Does not have the right hardware for it.

It can work on Verizon. LTE only. Probably needs a new SIM, as mentioned, plus an account provisioning change to be LTE only.
[automerge]1577551971[/automerge]
new problem, being worked on

son bought this x from apple as usual. but when added to his att account they must have locked it.

so even though verizon added this to my account this morning, when i got home to finish adding wifi, etc it said sim not supported. after Chat they feel x is still locked to att. son is trying to get it unlocked. what a crap day lol

Depending on shortages at release, the phones Apple sells directly may be sold locked. The ATT model of the X is likely the Intel/CDMA Less model. Apple didn't sell the SIM-less model of the X until shortly after I bought my X (which I bought via best buy so, once unlocked, it supported CDMA).

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Asked this above, but no specific response.

Can ATT unlock the iPhone if Verizon already added it to my account?

Don't know if this is complicating unlock.

Found an older MR thread on some solutions from submitting another request from me instead of from my son as a non AT&T user to filing complaint with BBB and/or FCC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.