Resources for programming beginner.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Six118, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Six118 macrumors newbie

Morning all, I've recently decided that in my spare time at uni I would like to develop an App I have been thinking about for a while. At the moment I have little to no programming experience. I dabbled in VB when I was young, but only at a very basic level.

My qestion is, what resources should I be using to build my knowledge and eventually begin app creation. Obviously I will be using both documentation and videos on the Apple Ios dev centre as well as the information avalible in Xcode itself. From what I understand Objective C is qutie a different beast to its basis, ANSI C. Is a knowledge of "C" necessary in order to learn and utilize objective C as well as Cocoa touch? If so, what books are usuful? Bar what I've said so far, my plan was to buy, "C for dummies" as well as "Objective C for dummies" and work my way through them both before delving in the the dev centres documentation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm fairly lost as to where to start.

Thanks

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Well, there is a stickie on top of this very forum to set newbies on the way.
    I'd opt for the C/Objective C first, then head into the UI Stuff.
    Otherwise you'll wack yourself on the head more then once on the way ;)
    Trust me, most of us been there.

3. Six118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I've just put the "C" and "Objective C" books on order. Let the games begin.