ReSpaceApp

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 3282868, Apr 7, 2012.

?

10.5/6 "Spaces" and "Exposé"

1. I want Exposé and Spaces as it was previously

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. I like "Mission Control" but would also like the option for "All Windows" Exposé and 10.5/6 Spaces

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. I like "Mission Control" as it is

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. 3282868 macrumors 603

Note: I am in no way related to the development of this application, but rather am sharing it with others as it is a great addition to "Lion" in incorporating "Snow Leopard" Spaces (and soon Exposé features). I posted this in another thread as a reply but thought a new thread would garner more attention for those who desperately want these features in "Lion". :)

Download link:
    ReSpaceApp

It is still in beta stage and is free. Here is the list of current features and upcoming features:

Current Features

- Navigate a grid of desktops using hotkeys for each direction

[​IMG]

- Use the transitions, hotkeys and navigation preferences you desire

[​IMG]

- All accessible from a handy icon in the status bar, that also indicates your current desktop

[​IMG]

Coming / Requested features

I take requests for features over at get satisfaction. Although I can't promise anything, I will do my best for any reasonable feature requests. Below are things that have been requested, and that I think would be good to add. Again, I can't promise by particular dates or versions though.

Full screen apps

Although ReSpaceApp partially supports full screen apps as of v0.9.5, it is intended that they can participate more fully in the grid of spaces, in particular by being visualised in the select grid view, and with more options as to how they can be navigated to.

Multi monitors

The select grid should show both (or all) monitors' contents, not just the main screen.

App window dragging

Windows should be able to be dragged from desktop to desktop via the edges of the screen.

Dragging windows between desktops in select grid

Windows should be able to be dragged from desktop to desktop in the select grid view.

Locking apps to desktops

Although you can lock an app to a desktop using the ctrl-click menu from the icons in your dock, this is very fiddly, and we wish to bring control of which app resides where inside the preferences of ReSpaceApp.

Naming desktops

Right now the system names your desktops for you, but it's nice to name your own desktops.

Gesture support

Changing space with gestures.

Mountain Lion

My crystal ball says it should be possible to support Mountain Lion. I won't start taking payment for ReSpaceApp until I confirm this.

2. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Update: "All Windows" Exposé "sort of" present in 10.8 ML DP2

Someone posted this comment regarding "All Windows" Exposé possibly making a return in "Mountain Lion":

3. WSR macrumors regular

Note I voted:
    "I want Exposé and Spaces as it was previously"

, but really I'm:
    "I want Exposé and Spaces as it was previously, but would also like the option for Mission Control for those that want it"

4. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Wish I could alter the poll, sorry mate.

I just noticed the developer of ReSpace has released a new beta with many of the upcoming features already running. Have it on "Lion" and "Mountain Lion" and so far looks to be a near perfect reproduction of Spaces and soon Exposé features that are lacking:

http://switchstep.com/ReSpaceApp/support

Link to beta 0.9.6.14 is on the right under "Latest Update", a bit hard to see at first.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

can you make a video of it in action from those screen shots I have no clue what its actually for or how to use it

6. WSR macrumors regular

No problem.

There has been so much bashing on other treads that I just wanted to emphasize I didn't want Mission control taken from those that like it. I definitely didn't like Spaces/Expose taken from those of us that like it.

7. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

This is my first time uploading a YouTube video, so forgive any mistakes. :)

As it is beta, there is still much to be done. Also, my Mac Pro has dual displays which did not translate well during the screen recording and is the reason for the slight video glitch in grid view, as well as missing moving a Finder window on my second display to another grid. Both are said to have been or are being remedied. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CPOHQfn0c

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

cool thanks

9. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

I realize YouTube shrank it down a bit. I'm trying to edit it so you can see the application preferences at the end.

10. rosschang macrumors member

Spaces as it was.

was really shame on Apple to axe this feature...

won't consider mission control as a replacement. it's more like a bag of hurt...:D

11. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

I love that old Steve Jobs line about Blu-Ray. :p (and now we can play BD's in OS X)

I'm keeping a watch on ReSpace as it develops. The developer has been great with quick feedback to comments, and is working Exposé into the app. If it comes out as a feasible addition to OS X, I'd be happy.

12. patrick1234 macrumors member

13. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Not yet, but a 9.7 release just came out with a lot of new features or fixes. For example, the grid is extremely smooth and moving a window from one desktop to the other in the grid view places the window in the exact same position from the first desktop to the new one (meaning it doesn't change the open window location when moved into another desktop). I haven't played with it more, just installed the update. Exposé "All Windows" and usage when the grid is displayed is supposed to be included in future releases. The developer is working away and so far he's done a great job and responds to everyone's comments/suggestions almost immediately.

14. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I've played around with ReSpaceApp a little and am impressed with how far it's come along. Ideally I would like to see the display of the desktops actually fill the screen like it did in Spaces. It's not really an issue for me as I only use four spaces, but for those that use many more the desktop thumbnails can become really small, just like in Mission Control.