respected dutch tech site reviews lion. verdict: So So.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by stefan1975, Jul 19, 2011.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

http://tweakers.net/reviews/2199/mac-os-x-107-lion-voor-de-leeuwen.html

in short:

+ price is right. new gestures work like a charm. encryption nice addition and easy to use. resume works well. appstore not obligated yet. solid release.

- new iOS like features not too cool, launchpad not suitable for non touchscreen Macs (video review), full screen apps not very useful and mature yet, very few true new features making it feel like a minor release instead of a real OSX upgrade. Too much emphasis on new users. mission control nice but too crowded for some. they don't consider it a must-upgrade release. inconsistency for power users.

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

This is where the review fails. Their focus is all wrong.

This "emphasis on new users" is EXACTLY what this OS needs. Rope in users from the 200 million iOS users who might not have Macs (most don't.)

The emphasis on new users is critical from a platform growth perspective. We're about to see a whole boatload of new Mac users. iOS is the gateway.

Taking some of the geek out of tech is a breath of fresh air.

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I tend only to value opinions of publications when they review a product that has been released.
    Not saying that publications don't have reviews done and are just waiting for the NDA to be lifted and published. If fact a good sign of release is reviews by the WSJ & NY Times.

4. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

true. but given the fact that hours after release most other sites like ARS will also put their reviews up and that the disks with GM are being shipped to the apple stores as we speak, they most likely reviewed the same final product by testing GM, albeit a day early. not sure if we have NDA's here as well, tweakers often come quickly with unbiased reviews (not as in-depth as ARS though, they are not an apple centric site)

5. saba01 macrumors member

Who knows how much dope they have been smoking when they did the test ;-)

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I agree. Most everyone has their Lion review written. They are just waiting for the NDA to be lifted. I was harsh in saying I would not value the opinion of the publication. They are just breaking the NDA, but for that matter so I am I when I discuss Lion.

7. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dope i don't know, but given the fact it's a dutch site they might have been using pot though.

i think it's a fair review though, not too thorough and i'd like to see some benchmarks but at least they didn't turn all fanboy or burn it to the ground. they didn't mention a few new features that are actually kinda nice like resizing in all corners, special characters by holding the keys or the fact that lion uses the same old kernel SL 10.6.8 did.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Regardless if you agree or not, the article still has a point. If you're looking at Apple's perspective, yes you would want to appeal to new users. But if you're a user, Lion little and might not appeal to the experienced OS X user which is why they might have rated it a "so-so". I didn't read the article but I'm assuming that's what they're talking about.

If you're a new user, it's probably a solid OS. If you've been a user for years, it is pretty mediocre.

9. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i all honesty the "so so" is a translation i made in this thread, summarising the Dutch article.

It is a tech site (for people that are tweakers) so it would seem expected they'd find fault with the iossification of lion. It is also what is commented upon in the user comments'. Those also touch upon all kinds of neat little things that are not too wellknown yet.

10. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Exactly the magic of the iPad convinced me to dump my '03 Sony PC. Although I don't qualify for up to date I still buy Lion.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Well I'm not going to read the review but I'll assume that the verdict was less than overwhelming and I can see what they're saying. Although it has some nice features and tweaks, I don't look at it as a major OS as an experienced OS X user like Leopard was from Tiger (XP to Vista/7). Apple can emphasize LaunchPad and Mission Control but to me those are very minor. It might appeal to those wanting to switch over to the Mac, but I think to everyone else, it's a little underwhelming and the price reflects that (another 30 dollar OS).

That's not to say Lion is a bad OS. I've been using GM for about a week now, there's things that are great, some that are not so great but if you're a newbie, I could see how you may want to purchase a Mac.

12. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I do not agree. Full screen is my favorite feature :confused: and this feels like a new OS. They changed every application. Mail, iCal, address book, safari all look new and have new features

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I don't really mind the full screen, I do wish that the menu bar didn't hide itself though.

14. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

tweakers is a respected tech review site in your book? please give me a break.