Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
As I and other people noticed, you cannot redownload certain free songs from iTunes. I wasn't sure whether this was a statement that since you had never paid for the songs you didn't deserve to redownload them or not. It seems to not be the case, but rather Apple says ambiguously that you can't redownload songs that have been modified, which I guess would be true with songs that are only temporarily free.

I have to admit I don't totally understand how iCloud works. I find it a bit confounding. But it seems to me like later on when the iCloud has formed more, that you will be able to match songs besides songs you downloaded from iTunes as long as iTunes has copies of those songs (and if they don't you have to pay $25 a year to keep the songs they don't have copies of uploaded on iCloud for redownload). So, the question then becomes, will iTunes allow you to redownload songs if they can see the free downloads in your library and match them to their library in the sky even if they aren't in the same place in the store they were when they were free. But of course to redownload those free songs, you would then need them in your library first for them to be recognized by the iClioud.

Can you see why I get so confused? I don't even know if the way I am explaining it makes sense. I also wonder whether since you only have to have your songs identified by iCloud and can then redownload them, will people take random MP3 files and change the MP3 ID information to make it look like they have music they don't?

OK, I know I am probably making this too confusing, but here is my correspondence with Apple:

Me:
Apple recently introduced iCloud Beta in iTunes 10.3, which allows you to download past purchases from the iTunes Store.

I noticed when I went to download past purchases, the list does not include songs which were free songs of the week or available as part of Album Samplers which were free from Apple's page on Facebook.

I am not sure if there are other songs missing from my Purchases History, but these were the ones that stood out.

I understand that these songs were originally free, but Apple still considers them purchases by sending receipts for them via e-mail and placing them in the Purchased playlist of iTunes.

Does Apple plan to make these songs available for re-download ever?

Apple:

Thank you for contacting iTunes Store Support, my name is Colin and I would be more than happy to assist you. I understand your frustration that the iTunes Store could not add all of your purchases back to your account.

iTunes let you redownload all the items that had not been modified or removed from the iTunes Store since you purchased them. I'm sorry that some of the items you purchased are no longer available, but I am happy that we were able to help you recover as many items as possible.

If you have an iPod or iPhone, and if you put any of these purchases on it, you can transfer them back to your computer using iTunes 7 or later. You'll find instructions in this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848

Thank you for your understanding, and thank you for being an iTunes Store customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.