Response from Apple on LED Cinema Display with DVI computers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zorn, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I sent an email earlier this evening to Steve Jobs asking if the LED Cinema Display would be compatible with computers that only had DVI connections, and the exact response was "a simple adapter cable is all that's needed"

Seems like good news, as I would imagine Apple would begin to offer said adapter closer to the release of the monitor.

2. waiyean macrumors newbie

I will expect that adaptor cable to be provided together with the monitor.
    It doesn't make sense for Apple to introduce a monitor specially for the laptops, especially when they already have isight and speakers.

Having the isight and speakers built in is only useful for the Mac Pro and Mac Mini.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Yea, I agree with you. I remember Dell released a display with a webcam. no speakers or mic though. But this doesn't make sense for notebooks only. They already have mics and webcams and however terrible, speakers. It seems a little redundant. But for mac pros, they don't even have a webcam to begin with, unless you buy one of the old isights. this makes more sense for the mac pros. apple: maybe update all the ACD's (20", 30") to have webcams, mics, and speakers as well? as well as LED backlit, but for the 30", dont charge a fortune like Samsung did for their 30" LED backlit display panel.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That sounds like a future update, perhaps next month, but more likely early next year. The Mac Pro will need an update, so they'll unveil more ACDs at the time. I also have a feeling that maybe, just maybe, Apple may be on the verge of a mid-tower. I have no idea why, I just do.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

That's not true at all really. If you want to use your notebook closed and sit in front of a large screen you want the sound comming from infront of you and you wouldn't be able to use the camera on the notebook.

6. waiyean macrumors newbie

So, you are saying that Apple's target market for this new Cinema Display is for people who wants to sit in front of a large screen with the notebook closed... and want the sound coming from in front?

Seriously, Apple took such a long time to refresh the displays.... if this is all they can come up with, I am truely disappointed.

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm actually waiting to see if a DVI connector comes for the new Cinema Display. I currently have a 3 month old 23" ACD but would glady replace it with 2 of these beauties

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

To me it seems that way. It comes across that this is an accessory for mac notebooks. Which I don't see anything wrong with in itself, but I can certainly see why people are dissapointed.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A simple $99 cable that is......

10. toke lahti macrumors 68000

..found nowhere, which isn't very surprising since the whole mini displayport is proprietary at the moment.
    Also, there's no mention of it in ledACD's specs...

11. Silverhawk macrumors member

Silverhawk

I do find it confusing on having the Cinema Display oriented for the laptops as opposed to using it for the Mac Pro or even the Mac Mini.

If there is an adapter, I'm sure it will be expensive which is hard to justify having the Display at all (granted the neat little bells and whistles & loss of FIREWIRE PORTS!!!!)

12. SpinThis! macrumors 6502

Apple will update its displays to LED "when technically and economically feasible" (Apple's words). The problem is there is just not that many manufacturers making LCDs backlit with LEDs at the moment, especially in those bigger sizes. What I can foresee happening is a price drop on the 30" in January, but Apple may update the rest of its line with new models. Of course, everybody will bitch and moan but they'll complain anyway if Apple introduced a new 30" that cost $3000.

13. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Really? :eek:

14. Zorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Well, the Wikipedia article on DisplayPort says that active circuitry is only required for Dual-Link DVI conversion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dual-Link only required for driving 2560x1600 resolution? For the 1920x1200 res on the LED Cinema Display we should be able to make a simple Single-Link conversion, no?

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Single link is all that is needed.

16. Zorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zorn

There we go. So that explains Steve saying "simple adapter cable", there will be no $100 active circuitry involved to drive the LED Cinema Display at its resolution.

17. redmeister macrumors 6502

have a feeling the rest of the acd line will get refreshed for whenever the mini/pro gets refreshed. this one monitor seems to be just for laptops

18. toke lahti macrumors 68000

If ledACD can handle dvi signals. If dvi's rgb-streams & clock stream has to be converted to dp's micro packets, it needs expensive processing.
    So mb/mbp->dvi is cheap, because mb/mbp can send dvi signal through dp connector.
    Dvi->ledACD is not cheap if it can take only dp signal and not dvi signal.