Rest in peace, little birdies...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by katie ta achoo, May 9, 2007.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I was driving home and accidentally hit two birds. I was doing about 35mph and they didn't fly up fast enough.
    I had a little funeral for them.

[​IMG]

I feel so bad. I killed something. When I put their little bodies in the shoebox, it was so light! I picked up the bottom and I could feel their warm little bodies through the cardboard.

I dug a little grave in the backyard and put them in.

This is the first (and hopefully only!) thing I've ever killed. I feel horrible! I'm expecting other birds to catch wind of my bird murdering ways and poo on my car tonight. :(

anyone else ever done this? Little roadkill funerals?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, birds used to fly into the picture windows 2 or 3 times a year, and the stickery things they sell for that didn't help a bit :( All the ones I knew about (there are hawks around, so who knows) are in a little bird cemetery out back. Screening on the outside finally worked to stop it.

3. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I doubt you'll be mistaken for a serial killer, but I wonder how birdie angels feel about stepping into heaven in xhileration shoes;)
    Actually, I try to ram into pigeons, but they're too fast.

4. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

on a first date I hit an an killed an opossum at 1:30 in the morning in the middle of nowhere

she was shocked and I didn't know what to do (it was the first and only time I have ever hit or killed an animal with my car)

we pulled over and burried it beside the road with a little stick cross after spending 30 minutes digging a hole with an ice scraper

5. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

6. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

While driving I've seen birds purposely flying in front of the car, amazingly they don't get hit, but from the dashboard it looks like they've been it.

7. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I saw a squirrel in the process of getting run over a couple of weeks ago, it was awful as i'm a squirrel lover.

I know how you feel... :(

8. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

They were kinda chillin' in the street. :( about 8 of them were there, and the other six flew away.. I thought they all did.

:(

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Katie, you're a kind soul. I have a friend whose mounted, 12 point buck is roadkill. :D

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Natural selection as Darwin would call that. :p

Seriously though, you were nice giving them a proper burial.

11. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

One time I saw my cat playing with something in the backyard; upon further investigation I saw that it was a tiny mouse. I shooed the cat away to see if the mouse was okay; unfortunatley its head had been torn open and I could see it was beyond saving. I decided the most humane thing to do would be to put it out of its misery (it was shivering and shaking and couldn't move) so I had to *shudder* smash it with a shovel. We gave it a nice burial, but it was still rather troubling. Death is never an easy thing to confront, even if it is "just" a bird or a mouse.

12. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I had to run over a squirrel who was half run over by a previous car- it's back half was smashed to hell. I felt pretty bad doing it.

13. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

First date, 1:30 in the morning, middle of nowhere....hmmmmmm.....:rolleyes: :D ;)

14. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i would ask randy johnson. he once killed a bird with a pitch.

15. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

That was amazing!!!! I will link the video to it from youtube in a second.....really weird event.

As promised

Link

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i guess your cat wasn't pleased ;)

17. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Aww, that sucks, Katie. It's incredibly unnerving to run over a small creature with your car (or a large one; I had a run-in with a deer once). *hugs*

18. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

te school we went to was in the middle of nowhere surrounded by cow pastures and farms

19. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

You made out at a school in the middle of nowhere?

20. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

no we were coming back to campus from the 7-11 off the interstate (I'm classy) after getting slurpys

21. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Oooohhh 7-11 slurpee's... I miss those! Dang Georgia doesn't have any!

22. asxtb macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/V705SH/SHJ001 Browser/VF-NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I've hit a bird with my bike before. Tried to fly thru the wheel but the spokes got him. He lived though.

Also ran over a baby rabbit with a lawn mower. Turned a corner and wham! It's brother and sister were untouched. Instead of running scared, they went to their fallen sibling and appeared to be mourning. I was devastated.

23. mpw Guest

Ahhhh the excruciating crunch of bones during a roadkill, yum.

I'm kidding of course, I'm a veggie too, so like you I only kill for the sport Katie.

In my time driving I've hit plenty of birds (gulls are my favourites, I hate gulls), rabbits (they really do bone crunch as you hear them pass under the length of your car) and most recently a possum (which looked really surprised at the moment of impact). The most memorable was a cat about 6months ago right outside my house, it most've gone right under the wheel of my car and I heard the crunching bones and squeal, but it still ran off. Then a couple of days later a poster went up in the corner shop for a missing cat and flyers were posted through the door. Opps.

24. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I fed two live rats to my boa today. Am I a bad person?:p
    J/K. I love animals and I get very sad when I see anything
    roadkill or uneccessarily harmed. My snake was hungry tho-
    it was them or me!