Rest In Peace. PowerBook G4.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mmfphotodude, Apr 18, 2010.

1. mmfphotodude macrumors member

Good old Titanium, from 2001. You where top of your league. Faithfully serving since launch day 2001.

RIP.

any ideas what i can do with it now that its dead and gone?

The screen shorted out (inverter), now it wont boot.

-MMF

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

RIP.

3. gatorfan787 macrumors newbie

Have you tried booting it up with an external monitor? Doesn't make sense that the computer won't function anymore just because the LCD inverter went out. You could use it as a desktop for surfing, file/time machine server, etc.

4. mmfphotodude thread starter macrumors member

wont do anything. It also has a dead DVD drive, somewhat messed up mobo, dead L2 Cache. and is beat up. i zapped the pram, hit the reset switch, nothing. You here gong. if your lucky the screen blinks on for a split second. and thats all it does. you can hear the machines HDD, but it wont respond to anything. I am pretty much now screwed. I can not afford for my laptop to die at this point, and i have my finals coming up, and exams, which is bring your own laptop. (school heavily uses computers)... Tomorrow, i will be going to school with my Cell phone (now a Nokia 2125i). and a usb drive with my homework. I dont even own a computer now, im using my friends at the moment. I really cant afford for this to be happening...

-MMF

5. gatorfan787 macrumors newbie

I feel for you... I'm patiently awaiting a new MBP and have finals starting wed afternoon for law school, which are also typed on the computer and my current core duo mbp has a non-functioning track pad and several keys not working, and a fan that goes in and out. I'm cutting it close because my tracking number says delivery by Wed. morning.

My suggestion to you would to be to first contact your school and see if they have loaners available for this type of situation. Mine does, or lets you go into a computer lab to take the exam. If they don't provide an alternative, go into a retail store and purchase the cheapest Windows computer or even 9-11'' netbook you can find to take your finals on (should be able to get one for $200-$300 USD); after finals you could just return it if you don't want it.

6. mmfphotodude thread starter macrumors member

THey are all booked. Cant afford even a cheap netbook. Good luck with your pro, you could always use an external kb/mouse, but that doesnt help for the fan issue. Im looking at used G3's and P3's. that are within my 50CAD price range. I live on my own, and am a full time student. So its kinda hard to afford stuff.

-MMF

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(
    But you really can't depend on a computer from 2001 to be reliable. its 8 years old. Thats a long time to live. If you have finals, get a cheap computer to just do the job. Maybe go on the Apple refurbished store?

good luck

8. mmfphotodude thread starter macrumors member

I know that much, but i cant really afford it to die still. Apple too expensive. Like i said i have 50 bucks, and a AMD tower. So im looking at barter, and old iBook g3's and thinkpads.

Thanks to people for the suggestions so far. :)

-MMF

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about your PowerBook G4's untimely demise mmfphotodude. :(

10. frank.deale macrumors regular

Condolences. I have the exact same computer and it still works like a charm as a back-up to my 5,1 MacBook Pro (March 2009).