Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alielizadubois

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
This has happened two or three times to me in the past few months. (I have had my computer for less than 6 months).

It is usually when I am browsing the net.

The screen will dim, and a black window will show telling me in many languages that I need to restart my computer. There is the power button showing in the background of the box.

I restart, and there is a message saying that the computer was restarted because OS X Unexpectedly Quit.

Why is it doing this and how can I fix it??

Thanks!

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
That would be a kernel panic. If it's happened repeatedly there's possibly a hardware problem. The link I gave you should have any info you might need. If you need anything clarified, I'd be glad to help.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Happened to me before. I believe it was something Java related, but they happen for many reasons. This isn't a problem unless it happens more frequently. Mine tends to do that when I haven't restarted in awhile (over 15 days) It happens to everyone eventually. A general cause is bad RAM, but doesn't sound like that's what you've got. You'll want to contact Apple if it happens alot.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Do the intel Macs have kernel panics more than the PPCs? Because at MOST, I get one maybe once a year, but I think it's even less.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Maybe memory installed or something aftermarket? Just a thought. If you haven't done this and this consistently happens, maybe a software reinstall would be a good idea in this case.

alielizadubois

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Im worried because it has happened at least 2 times (maybe 3) in the last few months.
I have not installed anything new. Im sure it only happens when I am browsing on the net, because thats what I do most often.

Should I take it to a Mac Genius, or try reinstalling myself (Im a little worried about that too... how do I do it? I should back everything up first, yes??)

I don't want whatever it is to become a bigger problem... I love my computer and brag about it all the time, lol, what would I do if something were wrong?????

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Do not, repeat, do not reinstall OSX! Not only is this very unlikely to help, it could easily make the situation worse.

Check the advice in the linked guide. These are the sane and logical troubleshooting steps. Note that reinstalling OSX is not one of them.

In the vast majority of cases, kernel panics that occur frequently are indications of a hardware problem, generally with RAM.

dasein

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
If you're running 10.4.10 on wireless and battery power, the problem is the update. There are quite a few discussions going on with the problem. It's Apple's problem and word is a fix is in the works soon. As best as anyone can guess, it has to do with the power management algorithm. If none of the above applies to you, it could be hardware.

S281

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
California
Mine has been having this same error as well, at least twice every day, but I haven't installed any third party hardware or software lately. I'm guessing the latest OS update could be the problem, but It does it on AC and battery power equally as much... should I take mine to an Apple genius?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Mine has been having this same error as well, at least twice every day, but I haven't installed any third party hardware or software lately. I'm guessing the latest OS update could be the problem, but It does it on AC and battery power equally as much... should I take mine to an Apple genius?
Yes, get it looked at. Twice a day is way too much. I've had maybe twice in 18 months on an intel iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.