restart loop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SiaChris, May 22, 2013.

1. SiaChris macrumors newbie

I have a 2006 white macbook 2.14 duocore if I remember correctly, with Snow Leopard installed. What I was doing was downloading some synths for Garageband and it said I must restart the computer. Upon restart, the gray screen pops up, I hear the sound and then nothing. Even the spinning rainbow-ish disc isn't there spinning. After about 5 minutes of sitting there, it restarts again.

So far, I have put in the install disc: checked permissions and clicked repair disk. It then said Disk is Okay in both cases. In another area of utilities, I could sort of navigate through the C: drive, so I am inclined to believe that it's actually spinning, although I cannot tell if I hear it going over the fan.

I tried to create a disk image so that I might be able to re-install the OS, but I get an error that there is not enough space. The destination drive has 400G+ open on it and the hard drive has a maximum of 120, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I need to either recover the files on the system, or get it to start up. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm kind of at a loss where to go next.

2. SiaChris thread starter macrumors newbie

wow.....nearly 600 views and not one person has any idea? Or did I do something wrong?

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Take out the drive and connect to another computer with a SATA adapter to test it.

Run the Apple Hardware test.

Why can't you install from the install disk? Version too old?

4. SiaChris thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it looks like I could install from CD and have read that everything else would stay in tact. Is that true? It's Snow Leopard.

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Yes just don't erase and install and all of your files will be there. It may create an Old Install (something along those lines it's been a while) folder for some extraneous files.