restart problem XP on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by merchats10024, Dec 27, 2009.

1. merchats10024 macrumors newbie

Hi, could anyone help me, it's about third time when I have installed XP SP2 on my MacBook Pro, problem with restart, basically when I restart my windows the process is ok for about a half way through, then stop (freezes) and won't give a final kick for restart back my machine. Only solution to make my machine live again is to press Power On/Off button once to Shut down the restart process and press Power On again to turn on Windows again.. Does anyone had same issue? Is it something to do with files format FAT32/NTFS when formatting partition when installing windows ? Sorry for my english.. thks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Shutdown/restart/sleep problems are very common in Windows, and the usual suspects are drivers. Did you by any chance install some hardware that required a non-standard driver? e.g. printer/scanner/... Or did Windows Update decide to update one of your drivers recently?

Did this suddenly start, or has it been with you since you first installed XP?

B

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Are you able to bring up the task manager (CTL ALT DEL) when the system hangs? I didn't quite understand where the system is hanging in the shutdown process, but if you can access the task manager you should be able to see if any processes are hanging. If nothing is suspect, you can try killing processes one by one until the system restarts, which should point you towards the culprit.