Restart Shutdown not working at all!

skullsplitter

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Christchurch
I can only restart/shutdown my MBP by holding down the power button.

The apple menu does not work

Pressing the power button does not bring up the shutdown options

I have used a Mac since 2001 so this is reasonably serious for me to ask for help, after restarting I still have to option. I have tried terminal commands I read off the internet but these did not work either.

Need help with this serious OS X bug,

TY for the help,
Skullsplitter

quincymc

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Hello,

What terminal commands did you try?

My restart / shutdown options from apple menu dont work either (sleep suprisingly does), instead I have to do a 'sudo shutdown -h now', which works every time..

Q

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
My restart / shutdown options from apple menu dont work either (sleep suprisingly does), instead I have to do a 'sudo shutdown -h now', which works every time..

Q
I haven't heard of this issue till now.

What exactly doesn't work? If you choose "Restart..." what happens then?

And what happens if you choose the same but pressing <OPTION> at the same time (disabling the ...), so that it (should) Restart right away?

Does "sudo reboot" (in terminal) work every time aswell?

quincymc

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
option reboot / shutdown does nothing :(

Also, a sudo reboot just prompts for password and still just sits there :(

However a sudo shutdown does something quite interesting .. it kills all the daemons (nis, apache etc etc) but doesnt shut the computer down...?!

I must admit a sudo shutdown -h now meets my needs, but I am curious as to why this is happening... And, the behaviour is the same for a 'vanilla' account..

Quincy

emil.s

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2007
Sweden
Hi! I, and some more users at 99.se (swedish mac forum) does have the same problem.
"sudo halt/reboot" works, but not the Apple menu, or the power button.

It's the same for all users, so it's something whith the system...

I can shutdown from the loginwindow(?)
http://sandnabba.se/~emil/Screenshots/OS-X userswitch.jpg (highlighted field). Don't know what it's called in the english OS X :p
And userswitching works, but not logout.

Does realy noone know whats wrong?

P.S
The swedish tread: http://www.99.se/mac-os-x/220552-omstart-staeng-logga-ut-funkar.html
Thanks /Emil.s

emil.s

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2007
Sweden
I installed Leopard today. Which works perfect. :)
But the question remains... Is there a solution for this?

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
I had this exact problem about 2-3 weeks ago. Can you not log off from the apple menu either?
It happened when I messed around with some of the .plist files like loginwindow.plist and and com.apple.loginwindow.plist in ~/Library. An archive and reinstall did not work because my settings in ~/Library were not changed or overwritten. I even made a backup of the two .plist files and copied some different ones from a friend's macbook. When that didn't work, I put my original .plist files backand POOF, it worked!!! I have no idea how but I do know that an archive and install does not do much except take up about 10 gigs with the 'Previous Systems' folder.