Restarting Clone in Data Rescue 4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by philipt42, Sep 19, 2015.

1. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

Like an idiot I left my charger unplugged overnight while Data Rescue 4 was cloning, and my computer shut down, interrupting the clone. I just lost a month of progress, and the drive might be too broken to even go through the same thing again. Is there any way to restart the clone from where I was? I see the disk image in data rescue, but I don't see any option to do so. Any help would be very much appreciated. I don't want to wait another month to get my files back.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

To me, the most obvious thing to try is to run Data Rescue 4 on the clone. You'll probably need another external HD, unless I'm missing something about how Data Rescue 4 works.

However, I'm not sure I entirely understand your situation. To summarize, it's fairly apparent you have a bad HD. Let's call it BadHD. You also have an external HD, which we'll call ExternHD. You ran Data Rescue 4 for a month, letting it read and recover data from BadHD and writing it to ExternHD. Is this what happened?

I'm asking because you used the term "disk image" when referring to "cloning", without saying where the "disk image" was located. If it was on the original BadHD, then that was a risky thing to do, since BadHD is, well, bad.

If that's what you did, then I don't see any approach that's clearly better than starting over. The disk image on BadHD is a file on BadHD, and needs to be recovered in order to be useful. I don't know if Data Rescue 4 can be told to recover a particular file (the disk image), and whether that would be certain to take less time than starting the recovery over from scratch.

If you have an external HD (or more than one), then please identify them clearly, and what role they played in the recovery process (if any). A clear description of the exact problem, and what's located on each HD, will go a long way towards useful ideas on what to try next.

3. philipt42 thread starter macrumors 6502

philipt42

I restarted it. I'm pretty sure there was nothing I could have done to continue a clone once I started it.

The first scenario you outlined was the correct one.