restarting iPhone -- how often?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rikers_mailbox, May 18, 2008.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Searched the forum on this and didn't find much.

At what frequency do you Restart, Reset, or Restore your iPhone?

I'm on 1.1.4 (no hacking or jailbreaking or anything). Typically I need to Restart ~1/month due to system freezes, audio problems, and/or general weirdness.
    Restored once after an OS update went funky. It solved the issue.

Just curious what other users experience ...

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Eh, I rarely restart the bugger (usually once every few weeks), and then usually just because I'm horribly bored.
    I've only had to force the bugger to shut down (reset) once, and that was my own fault :p
    As for restoring, I restore it whenever a software update comes out, as I don't like how it keeps many of the settings and registrations from Installer when you simply upgrade.

btw, 4 gigger on 1.1.4 jb

3. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I'd say I have to restart/restore (holding down the sleep/wake button and the home button) once every two to three months due to freezes and what not.

4. maxxscholten macrumors regular

I just had my iphone replaced the other day because I was having to do a hard reset about 2-3 times a day because it would freeze up. It was getting really annoying. The genius was awesome, he didn't even look at the water sensor haha, which was cool because I had droped it in a toilet once... but it didn't really get that wet and the sensor never turned pink.

But now that I have my new one it's much nicer, I also feel like the speaker volume is WAY louder.

5. friekunater macrumors 6502

hmmm... I restart (hold sleep/wake button) mine about twice a day but not because I want/have to, but because of Kingdom Game server timeouts but they should be fixed now lol. now I might reset like once a week maybe? I restore whenever i need to which is usually around once a month because the keyboard starts to lag.
    in fact, it's starting to lag now. I'll restore later :S

6. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

7. Trip.Tucker Guest

Sheesh, you guys must be out of the norm... I've done it once in the life of the phone and I bought this 2 weeks after they hit the shelves. People I speak to rarely if never have to reset... but I guess if you drop it in the toilet then you have bigger problems.

8. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Had to reset mine and it's only been a week. Locked up on the camera screen... However it's been pwned, so who knows if that has anything to do with it.

9. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i restarted my latest one once because the sound stopped working. although, i restarted it a bunch of other times will adding new apps/themes/carrier logos, etc.
    but other than the sound problem, i've never restarted an iphone because of problems.

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Restart, very few. I have probably had to restart once or twice since the 1.1.4 update, and very few times in general. Sometimes i turn it off for a couple minutes and then turn it back on just so it gets a little break since its normally constantly on otherwise.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have only had to restore my phone once in about a year, and restart it about once every 2-3 months - when things get hung up...

12. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I have had to restart my iPod video and now my iPod Touch about once a month as well.

13. jsgreen macrumors 6502

low frequency of resets makes me really look forward to getting the iphone v2 when it comes out. I'm currently useing a Palm Treo 680, which resets at least 5 times a week.

That being said, if I didn't have third party apps on my Treo, I bet it would be a little more stable (but so much more useless).

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Other than safari crashing infrequently (it's been less with every firmware upgrade), I don't have many problems. I do find that sometimes when I let the battery get to the 10% warning that the wifi gets a little wonky once I recharge. It sometimes has trouble connecting to my router. After a shutdown and restart everything is fine again.

15. gowanis macrumors 6502

i reset mine about once a week due to the e-mail bug where it just stops receiving mail.

16. luftx macrumors member

luftx

restarting iPhone -- how often?

I just got a new iPhone today because my other one was acting up so bad. And the Genius told me to be sure to restart it at least twice a day. Now I'm totally confused..

Robert

17. Fireman52SFD macrumors member

Once a day since its jailbroke. the apps ask for a reboot and some are crappy so i hard reset it after uninstalling.

18. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Man. I feel lucky. Havent had to reset in months.

Its been a damn good phone.

Ironically, I had to reset it the first night I got it. I thought I was screwed. I've only reset it about 3 times total in 10 months.

19. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

20. luftx macrumors member

luftx

Yeah, I thought so. I'm on the road today, so I'll put the phone through it's paces, but restarting isn't on my agenda today...

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have had my iPhone since launch day

I have completely restored it 3 times
    I have restarted it 20-25 times total

It helps if I am freezing or I am unable to connect to a web-site

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If you need a reason to Restart spend a few minutes at TUAW.com. It crashes on me 90% of visits and freezes the iPhone 5% of visits.

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I've only restarted on system updates. Granted we have only had the iPhone here since November 9th.

24. cellrbr8 macrumors newbie

I have to restart a couple of times a week...

...the worst part is that there is no indication as to when I'm being thrown off the system. When I finally figure it out, it may have been hours ago. So I restart and find that I have several messages. Occasionally the messages are urgent and I've let someone down who needed me. Sometimes the messages are business and I can't respond immediately - giving the appearance of poor service on my part. I write notes to "Mark the Spot", but nobody cares. Come on Verizon! March is the rumor?

25. cellrbr8 macrumors newbie

The iphone / Apple parts continue to work fine,...

...it's the AT&T part that crashes!