Restarting Loops and Random Restarts on Yosemite with SSD

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by bicape, Aug 3, 2015.

1. bicape macrumors newbie

I've been using my mid 2012 macbook pro with only 1 problem since I've owned it where in March, my SATA cable failed and needed to be replaced, where I also replaced the drive with a solid state. Now out of nowhere a few days ago, my mac started to go into these restart loops when I opened it from sleep. Maybe 5-10 times it would continuously restart and then once I logged on, it would say the computer restarted because a problem occurred. I took it to the apple store where a genius could not determine the problem and told me to wipe the drive and install a fresh yosemite. Since then the looping has stopped, but it will still restart out of absolutely nowhere, and the error messages have ceased.
    I have not reinstalled OSX yet, but was wondering if this may be attributed to yosemite's issues with SSD's. It may be a bit early to use El Cap beta, but I've read that El Capital solves an issue with yosemite and TRIM.
    Anyone else have input?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Look in this folder for a crash log from the date/time of the crash and post the contents of the log here so we can take a look.

3. bicape, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015

bicape thread starter macrumors newbie

So once again today I've been getting several restarts while using, and I just determined as I was getting dressed that my macbook also restarts when it's in sleep mode! I haven't even touched it so far and after looking at the console log I determined it restarted on its own at 3 and 7 in the morning, both times I wasn't using it therefore my mac has a mind of its own.

So the odd thing is I've been getting no crash logs whenever this happens. I only have powerstats logs generated daily in the folder you specified. I've been looking at the console logs whenever it happens and can determine nothing about whats causing it to restart. The only thing I tend to notice before it crashes sometimes is cloudkeychainproxy. I also took it to the apple store last week and unfortunately it did not spontaneously restart after opening it from sleep mode when I opened it and the 'genius' could not determine anything wrong with it when he took it out back. He told me to back up the hard drive and clean install yosemite. I haven't done that because my original apple HDD that I use for backups has failed and the genius told me if I needed to send the laptop in, I would need to put in the original HDD from apple, but thats just not gonna happen.

Here is my powerstats log if that will help. Any help is greatly appreciated.

4. bicape, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015

bicape thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Open the console application and look for anything that is a crash log (name ending in .crash) that is around the time the computer restarted. Post that log. If you would please post the crash log using the QUOTE /QUOTE markers.

6. bicape thread starter macrumors newbie

All of my crash logs start with com.apple.webkit.webcontent
    Here's the most recent

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Try creating a new user, reboot and login to the new user. Do you still get the problem in the new user account?

8. bicape thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I'll give that a shot when I get home, but I'm just nervous that it is a hardware problem considering it can restart when it's in sleep mode.

9. bicape thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I backed up my hard drive, erased it and reinstalled yosemite and the OS X installed with no interruptions but once it got to the preferences set up screen that happens right after installation, it had an immediate random restart. This happened a few more times before it could return back to the preferences set up and it did it twice more once I was logged in for the first time and didn't even have any applications open. Pretty upset reinstalling OS X didn't fix it. Still not getting any kernel panic logs.
    Anyone got any last minute ideas before I hit the apple store tomorrow to get a dreaded response from a genius?

Thanks

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Just some thoughts, may be of help, maybe not...

- Remove the back, remove the SSD, check the connection of the SSD connecting cable with the motherboard.

- Remove and re-seat the memory DIMMs

Are you by chance "getting any beeps" before the restart?

Could be a "randomly-loose" connection?

11. bicape thread starter macrumors newbie

So I sorta did what you're saying the other day. I popped out the two ram sticks and put in the OEM sticks that came with the mac (I'm using 2x4gb 3rd party sticks) and still had crashes so I knew it wasn't memory. My next step to diagnose was take out the SSD and pop in another HDD and did a clean install of Lion. Didn't have any kernel panics for roughly 2 hours on Lion so then I assumed it was a corrupted Yosemite so I popped back in my SSD, backed it up, and did a clean install of Yosemite on the and had almost immediate crashes.
    My next step to self diagnose it to pop back in the HDD with Lion on it, give it maybe an hour of use to test for kernel panics and then upgrade it to Yosemite and see what happens.
    If I have no kernel panics on yosemite with that other HDD, it's gotta be the Intel SSD I'm using, and it better be covered by warranty lol