Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertsw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
When I put the watch on in the morning and check the workout app it shows that I have burned hundreds of calories despite me having the watch on for less than a minute. Theres no way that I burned over 700 calories in one minute lol. Does the workout app do this for anyone else?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You are confusing Resting (BMR) with Active. If you don't burn any Resting calories you are dead. Resting calories are counted from 12:00AM on. So unless you checked at 12:01AM then you better see calories burned. If not check the obits.

albertsw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I put the watch on at around 10AM today so I don't understand how it could have any resting calorie data from before then. Active calories was 0.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I put the watch on at around 10AM today so I don't understand how it could have any resting calorie data from before then. Active calories was 0.
From 12AM to 10AM is 10 hours. Were you alive during that time? Is so then you had a BMR and therefore burned resting calories that must be accounted for, if you were dead during that time then you are correct and the :apple:Watch is wrong.

albertsw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
From 12AM to 10AM is 10 hours. Were you alive during that time? Is so then you had a BMI and therefore burned resting calories that must be accounted for, if you were dead during that time then you are correct and the :apple:Watch is wrong.

I wasn't wearing the watch during that time. If I had been wearing it it would make sense for it to show resting calories but it was just charging on my desk. I guess it must be a glitch.

willcodejavafor

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
I wasn't wearing the watch during that time. If I had been wearing it it would make sense for it to show resting calories but it was just charging on my desk. I guess it must be a glitch.

Your resting calories are calculated by your weight and age. For a man it is usually around 2000 kcal per day. 10 hours into the day you should have 'burned' 10/24*2000 just by being alive 10 hours in a day. The watch simply needs to know what time of the day it is to calculate this and therefor you don't need to wear it, as the apple watch actually does tell the time.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm not showing any resting calories. Is there something I needed to set up?

You must have your Health data setup in the Companion App.

Out of curiosity where are you looking now to see 0 Resting calories?

Hint.
IMG_0471_zpsxylqhmac.jpg

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I wasn't wearing the watch during that time.... I guess it must be a glitch.
...but you were still alive even without wearing your :apple:Watch? If you were alive and resting how is it a glitch to have Resting calories?

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
You must have your Health data setup in the Companion App.

Out of curiosity where are you looking now to see 0 Resting calories?

Hint.
IMG_0471_zpsxylqhmac.jpg

I'm getting active/exercise and total.. I'll call apple to see what I a. Doing wrong.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm getting active/exercise and total.. I'll call apple to see what I a. Doing wrong.

You do have all your info setup in the Companion App Health section? In order to calculate your daily BMR Apple has to have your sex, hight, weight and age.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
I did that in the health app. Yep.
I don't see resting calories in the health app or the activities.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I did that in the health app. Yep.
I don't see resting calories in the health app or the activities.
Under Move in the iPhone's Activity App (pic I posted) you see a 0 where I have 2076?

The Health App doesn't show resting calories (bug, oversight or...) and by activities do you mean Workouts? The :apple:Watch's Activity App doesn't show Resting calories. You must be looking on your iPhone.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
Under Move in the iPhone's Activity App (pic I posted) you see a 0 where I have 2076?

The Health App doesn't show resting calories (bug, oversight or...) and by activities do you mean Workouts?

I understand what the BMR is, this wasn't the issue, my activity app is only showing the Move and exercise, not the resting. Hence my question. The sex, height, weight and age are set up.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Your resting calories are calculated by your weight and age. For a man it is usually around 2000 kcal per day. 10 hours into the day you should have 'burned' 10/24*2000 just by being alive 10 hours in a day. The watch simply needs to know what time of the day it is to calculate this and therefor you don't need to wear it, as the apple watch actually does tell the time.
People have to see that calorie stuff more relative. It depends on your age, your height, your metabolism, the bacteria in your digestive organs, your eating habits* and other factors. Not every person sitting in a chair and doing nothing all day will need 2000kcal.

Also while we are at eating. There are three different basic bacteria cocktails that people all over the world can have (much like blood types), scientist found out that people that have a higher percentage of these and those bacteria can e.g. digest proteins better, while others with one of the other bacteria cocktails may digest carbohydrates better. - I know that sounds like some weirdo made it all up, but it is really true! (the ones who digest protein better, for example will fart more when they eat stuff that has more carbohydrates or fat and may **** out some of it without utilizing all for their body. - the protein guy is just an example here, could be other way round, too. I don't remember the details of the study right now).
Also, what scientist are just researching is, that they found out that there are different "types" of calories. So that the calculation that people used over all the years, that carbohydrates have 4,5kcal per g and so is not true anymore and is dependant on the food the carbohydrates, proteins and fat are in. This is not well researched at the moment and they only have something like a small hint to it by now.

That is why some people try and try and get nothing but headaches, when they count calories and maybe do a diet and nothing changes. But if you don't get crazy about it and get unhealthily thin or fat the 2000kcal for doing nothing is a good rule of thumb estimation thingy.
But don't forget, even if you think you are doing nothing, you might burn more calories than you know. E.g. a student, that sits on the desk and is thinking for ca. 6h, at say the age of 24, will probably burn 2400kcal a day.

(*if your body is used to not getting fed so often, it will learn to save the calories better and may even use/need less calories, when you do nothing).

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I understand what the BMR is, this wasn't the issue, my activity app is only showing the Move and exercise, not the resting. Hence my question. The sex, height, weight and age are set up.
Just to be sure you are looking in the correct place. On you iPhone in the Activity App you are swiping left on Move (on the graph)to see Active calories, Resting calories and Total calories? So you see 0 in Resting calories?

If you swipe left on Exercise you see Exercise minutes and Total active time.

Reactions: mikezmac

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Because I wasn't wearing it. It was charging on my desk.
That is the point - the watch assumes you are resting and not doing any activity while not wearing it. No matter what you are doing your body is doing work to keep you alive. If it didn't track resting calories then it would be way off of your total calorie burn during the day, because it would have no resting calories calculated for the 12 hours you aren't wearing the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.