Resting heart rate no data

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pagemakers, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

How does the resting heart rate work?

My app just shows no date of the resting heart rate

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Which version watch? I read somewhere that S0 doesn't do resting HR. I have a S0 also and no data so far but it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

5. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

6. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

7. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

It shows up in the Heart Rate app on my S2. I'll have to look at my son's S0 tonight to see if it is there.

It shows on the main screen of the app, and then you can tap to zoom in for more data.

IMG_0365.PNG IMG_0364.PNG

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

On S0 when you tap to zoom in you only get the scatter plot graph. No resting rate.

9. RobNYC macrumors 6502

10. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

11. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

I own the original version. I have been on Public Beta testing since two months ago. No resting data for me I work out a lot (longest move streak is 805 days and counting). I do not understand why Apple does not want the original version owners to have this considering some of us have a 10k version. The sensor is the same as other generations as far as I know. Anyway, I will be getting my LTE version this Friday so I am super excited to be able to use the resting data.

12. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Just to make it clear, I did not see the updated HR app until I updated to the GM last week. It was not in any of the betas.

I don't know why it wouldn't work on S0 either. I wasn't aware of any HR sensor changes between S0 and S1/S2.

13. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

If you go an look at the Appple website and look at the series 1 Watch it states....

Since Apple Watch is always with you, it can help you be more aware of your overall health, better manage stress, and check your heart rate in more insightful ways. Now you can get daily summaries of your resting, walking, and workout recovery heart rate.

So I would be led to believe that resting heart rate should work on all versions.

14. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

You would think so, but Series 0 (the original Apple Watch) isn't Series 1. Maybe there was a subtle change in the HR sensor?

15. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Talk about a complicated naming convention!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    How do we know which version we have?

16. RobNYC macrumors 6502

This will help you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204507

It labels the Series 0 as Apple Watch (1st Generation).

Just make sure you actually tap the watch model number on you're iPhone for it to show you the correct model.

17. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

As RobNYC said, Series 0 is just the name users gave the first generation Apple Watch because Apple used "Series 1" for the low-end second generation Watch: upgraded processor, but no GPS or waterproofing.

18. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Thanks. I’ve got a Gen 1. Hmm upgrade time maybe...

19. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Because of the more efficient processor, the battery life on S1/S2 (and presumably S3) is much better than S0/Gen 1. It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

20. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

It does not say on the watchOS website that it is only for Series 1 and up. There is no asterisk on the Heart Rate part that would indicate that at the bottom of the page it would say "For Series 1 and up" or something like that. In fact, all that it says at the bottom of Apples watchOS page is this:

1. Participating equipment manufacturers and gyms vary.
    2. Coming soon.
    3. Favorites Mix and New Music Mix require an Apple Music subscription.
    4. Coming this fall. Account security checks may require additional time to make funds available.
    • watchOS 4 requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later.
    • Some bands are sold separately.
    • Some features may not be available for all countries or regions.

I have read many stories today of people with even Series 2 watches not getting their Resting Heart Rate to populate. This could be a bug, or maybe Series 0 watches are not compatible. Until we get confirmation from Apple, it is all a guessing game.

:apple:

21. christ macrumors newbie

From Apple:

New heart rate measurements and visual graphs for resting rate (Apple Watch Series 1 and later)

22. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Lots of things appear not to work. EG I’ve just done a workout and in health the workout BPM shows - -

23. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

Sucks, but thanks man! I am sure Apple did it to entice people to upgrade from the Series 0. Thanks again!

24. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I agree, because these additional measurements should all be software based. It's just an interpretation of the data already collected. In fact there are third party apps that provide these metrics. I use Cardiogram and it tells me my resting BPM.

I'm not going to upgrade just to get these metrics, since I already get resting pulse from Cardiogram. I'm just glad the feature that alerts you when you experience an elevated heart rate (100bpm or higher based on your configuration) when you have been inactive for 10 minutes or more is available on Series 0. For anyone who experiences regular tachycardia (rapid heart beat) episodes, this could help them track when they happen, what they were doing at the time, and what other factors may have been involved (stress, medication, caffeine, etc.). All useful information for a doctor.

But yeah...I just don't get why Apple doesn't offer the new native heart metrics to Series 0 owners. Does the heart rate monitor on the newer models take more frequent readings outside of workouts than Series 0? Would that even matter for measuring something like resting heart rate? Is Apple afraid that running the software processes required for providing these metrics will tax the performance and battery life of a Series 0 watch? I might buy that as a reason, but Cardiogram doesn't seem to cause any issues for me.

Sean

25. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

I hope they add the resting heart rate feature to the S0 as like you said, it is most definitely software based.

I actually bit the bullet tonight, and ordered a 38mm Space Gray w/ Gray Sport Band GPS+LTE Series 3. Not just for the resting heart rate reading (I sent Craig Federighi an email earlier today asking him why the S0 does not support it, no reply yet) and not really for the LTE, but more so for the ability to be able to swim with it and the added performance gains/battery improvements. I have wanted the waterproofing for a while now! I just went with the LTE model because I figured why not have the flagship model of the watch when I am going to be getting the flagship iPhone X in Space Gray as well. I have not decided what to do with my S0, might keep it, might sell it, might give it to my mother.

-Shawn

--- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    "I'm just glad the feature that alerts you when you experience an elevated heart rate (100bpm or higher based on your configuration) when you have been inactive for 10 minutes or more is available on Series 0. For anyone who experiences regular tachycardia (rapid heart beat) episodes, this could help them track when they happen, what they were doing at the time, and what other factors may have been involved (stress, medication, caffeine, etc.). All useful information for a doctor."

I forgot to mention this. I am very happy like you are they at least added this to the S0. This will help save more lives than the Apple Watch already has, and help people get diagnosed properly. So, I at least applaud Apple for that move!