Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tizod

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
So, I bought a 20" refurb a few weeks back and of course the new ones are coming.

I am still in my 14 day period and I am still waiting to see what the new ones offer before making my decision however I am a little perplexed about having to now cough up an additional amount of money to make the switch because of restocking fees.

Now, I used to work in retail for an electronics company that applied restocking fees to returned items and I understand the thought process behind restocking fees. If someone returns a electronics device it can no longer be repacked and sold as new so the restocking fee gives the manufacture the opportunity to recoup on some of the value that is lost on that return item.

Makes perfect sense to me and normally I would have no issue complying to that.

However....the machine I have was already sold at a reduced cost because of the fact that it was refurbed. So with that in mind does it seem unfair to anyone else that they can charge a restocking fee to me if I should return this IMac for a new one?

What about exchanges?

Has anyone returned a refurbed machine and got them to waive the RS fee?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
you have the realize the machine you're returning would have to be reconditioned and sold again, and i would think that process justifies the restocking fee.

but to answer your question, i bought a refurb black macbook, which i returned due to some issues i was having, and the customer representative refunded me entirely without charging me the restocking fee. since you're not having any issues with the computer, i don't know if you can get the fee waived, but you can certainly try.

airjuggernaut

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Keep it, I'm in the exact same boat as you.

Just live on, and move on.
Your iMac is still going to be the wonderful machine that it is.

tizod

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Nevermind.

\not impressed enough to cough up the extra dough

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
If you bought a refurb, the price on those just dropped by one or two benjamins. Call Apple and ask for a price match to the current prices if you are still within the 14 day period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.