Restocking fee...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dallas112678, Mar 8, 2008.

1. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Ok i have a question, my MBP is having that right side "buzzing" noise and i plan on taking it to the genius tommorrow, if they offer me a replacement i might ask them just for a refund. If i ask them for a refund when they offer me a replacement will they still charge me a restocking fee even though there is obviously something wrong with the laptop?

The only reason i ask this is i was thinking of returning the MBP and the applecare and just upgrading to a 2.6 15" 7200HDD and then i would buy apple care later down the line, im thinking about doing this because right now im at a community college and i dont transfer to a university until the fall so im just thinking i minus well get all the power i can right now just to make it more "future proof."

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

If they think your reason for returning it is not valid (ie, they tell you the problem is "within spec") then yes they will want to charge you the fee.

However, I argued for a while when I was returning my first MBP (grainy display) and got them to drop it. It wasn't easy, but i was pretty relentless about it. That's the only time I've ever returned something to Apple.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

If you have more than one apple store in your are, try your luck at the various stores. I have three apple stores in my city. One NEVER charges the restocking fee no matter what as long as you return things within 30 days. The other two are quite strict about it.