Restoration left some issues.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattluc, Nov 12, 2008.

1. mattluc macrumors member

I recently had to restore my 1st gen MBP. I recovered essentially all of its files: Users, Library, and Applications, because I wanted to be able to restore things just as they were, without having to re-install 20 apps and change the settings again on 50. I followed Apple's instructions on how to restore "Users", but that's all that they instruct for.

I know that restoring my system library is what led to the following problems, but i have virtually no Terminal knowledge and would like to know if there are things i can do to fix these issues:

--I very often get asked for the system keychain password. I know exactly what it is, but it denies me every time. Once that window goes away (even with 'cancel') most things seem to run fine. But i often have to enter other passwords later.
    --My wireless networks are not automatically accessed (i think this is related to the previous issue) until i choose one of them. At least it doesn't ask me for the network passwords every time.
    --Sometimes if i right-click on an image to open it in Preview it gives me two preview programs to choose from, but only the older one opens. I only have one 'Preview' in Applications.

There are others, but most of them seem to relate to the keychain problem. I'm hoping that there's something similar to the -chown stuff i did to recover 'Users' to fix this.

Help?:)

2. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

1. Do you mean that when it asks for your password to for example install something, it says the passwords incorrect?

2. Go to System preferences, select Network, and tick "Ask to join new networks". After doing that it should connect automatically to known networks.

3. Highlight the file you wish to open with the new Preview app, then right-click and select "Get Info"
    A window should pop up, find where it says Open with then click the drop down menu. Click other and then find the new preview app you wish to use in the applications folder. Once you've done that click "Change All". This should automatically use that program for any image file you open.

3. mattluc thread starter macrumors member

This is what i actually see:

[​IMG]

it happens every time i wake my computer from sleep and again when i turn on airport and the like. Only in this window am i told that my password is incorrect (every time), but when installing a program or something like that my password is always correct.

Airport does ask to join new networks. It's odd when i start up OSX and it will ask if i want to join a network that isn't mine until i cancel the "Unlock Keychain" window discussed earlier. Then it'll join my preferred network.

Thanks for the photo file advice. Doing that should fix that issue. It just seemed really odd that my computer was registering 2 applications, and that it couldn't find the newer one.

4. mattluc thread starter macrumors member

This thread ended up focused on the Keychain, so i'll remake the thread in a better forum category. It doesn't seem like i can delete the thread myself, so my apologies to the moderators.

5. mattluc thread starter macrumors member

The thread i mentioned above is here, but nobody responded. I made my own fixes and ended up posting yet another thread asking if there are any ramifications to a system file that i deleted. That thread is this one. Sorry about the maze.