Restore 2012 rMBP SSD to factory speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harry322, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Harry322 macrumors member

Hey guys - I have the "ultimate" configuration of the first-yen Retina MBP (mid 2012). I'm going to be doing a clean install of Mavericks and was wondering how I can restore my SSD to its factory-fresh speed?

I've seen a lot of people talking about using windows to execute a S-ATA format (or some such procedure). I'm not really equipped for that.

Is there a mac-based way of restoring my drive? The equivalent of a "zeroing" to the old spinning disc drives?

Thanks in advance.

2. alex0002, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

alex0002 macrumors 6502

I think you might be talking about ATA secure erase.
    https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

You can do it from a linux bootable CDROM or bootable USB such as gparted live (free) if you can get it to boot a rMBP. I've used gparted live to boot a 2011 13 inch MBP (non retina). There is also Partition Magic which is linux based and has some nice graphical tool to do the secure erase.

But first of all, why do you want to do this? Have you any evidence that your drive is running slow and that this "restoring" will fix it?

Edit: should mention that there is no guarantee that either of these will boot your machine.

3. Harry322 thread starter macrumors member

Hey Alex -

Thanks for the advice - yes the ATA secure erase was the procedure I was talking about. Still sounds like a somewhat tricky procedure, but I appreciate the info all the same.

There's no real issue with the SSD, this is just another routine reformat of the machine between jobs. Anecdotally, I've noticed that it doesn't seem as speedy or "snappy" as it used to be. I don't have statistics to back this up, but I figured that after two years of heavy use, I should do some sort of special reformat.

Any other ways to restore the factory-fresh performance?

Thanks!

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

SSD's speeds degrade over time and there is nothing you can do about it. Your erasing and restoring of the drive is simply putting needless cycles one your SSD which will only shorten its lifespan.

Leave it be.

5. OzyOly, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Do you have something to back that up? SSD read speeds should remain constant. ATA secure erase will mark cells as empty and negate the need to read/write back whole cells when writing data, restoring the write speed somewhat.

6. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

http://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/why-you-need-a-solid-state-drive/

"**Note – We get a lot of questions about the degradation of SSDs over time. While multiple redundancies did tend to cause performance degradation in first gen SSDs, modern SSDs can handle tens of thousands of read/write cycles before degrading, making it much less of a concern".

7. Harry322 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I've always bought in to the notion that SSDs degrade over time. I thought there would be a way to counteract it, but it sounds like there isn't. Or at least that there's some debate on the issue.

Appreciate the discourse, guys, but I can't help but feel like my SSD isn't as snappy as it used to be....