Restore 50,000 Files From The Trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jackdavies, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jackdavies macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 500gb HDD that I wanted to use for backups with time machine, but it had a clone of my main disc on it from a couple of months ago using Carbon Copy Cloner. I wasn't sure of the files on it so I used an app called decloner that finds duplicate files and sends the duplicate to the trash. However I stupidly selected my main HDD and the 500GB external drive, this then trashed some files from the main HDD and some from the external HDD. I now have 50,000 files in the trash that came from 2 HDD's. How can I recover from this? I have used the Put Back feature in finder before but it is unavailable when I right click on an item in the trash. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Many Thanks, Jack

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

get a recovery data app to get that job done, but damn son 50k files :eek:lol

3. jackdavies thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, can anyone suggest a good app that will work, free if possible!?

Thanks again

4. jackdavies thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried Disc Drill but it is only for recovering deleted files. I still have the actual files in the trash I just need to return them to the location they came from. I don't know where each file came from, and anyway it would be impossible to manually restore 50,000 files! The put back option is greyed out in the finder. Is there any way of getting around this?