Restore advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sesshi, May 9, 2008.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Let us assume:

- I have a Macbook Air, 1/8/SSD + Superdrive.
    - The Time Machine backup is b0rked.
    - The Superduper backup is a 23Gb .sparseimage on an external USB drive. It does not seem to be b0rked, but of course it is not bootable.
    - Remote Disc doesn't seem to like to work as things stand at the moment, and I've tried quite a bit. It used to work, but it's had firmware updates, etc since then and the Air is working on a fresh from-DVD's reinstall.

What would you recommend?

2. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Never mind - I'm doing a new install. It would be good to know if anything of a similar nature happens in the future. I will, however, now make my Superduper backups bootable...

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think this is a good way to do all backups.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes. What I do with SuperDuper is create some partitions on the external drive just for it. In this case, my 500GB external drive has 2x 40GB partitions that were for my iBook, 2x 160GB partitions for my iMac (easier in my case since I have such an old Mac!), and then the rest for general disk space. Then I just write bootable backups on the partitions alternating (so I keep the last two backups).

I don't know if the "what to do if my image won't boot" help here would've worked or not, though?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=328607

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah - I do it the sparseimage way so that I can ping-pong backups to my Windows server so that it automatically syncs to other storage and then out to tape, which a man comes in to take away to put in a bomb-proof bunker.

Ultimately, I realise that without a built-in optical drive on a notebook - or less than two USB ports on a machine - it's kind of useless. I was hoping that there was a one (or minimal) step route to making sparseimages bootable without too much hassle.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Couldn't you use SuperDuper, or CCC, to create a bootable USB drive from your sparse image?

Of course this would require another USB drive.

7. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I must have missed that - copy sparseimage from USB HDD to notebook, run Superduper, copy sparseimage to USB HDD?

Is it time for a 'doh'?

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Here you go! :D

Attached Files: