restore all content on a 4.2.1 unlocked iphone 3gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by clin86, Feb 6, 2011.

1. clin86 macrumors regular

i hit the erase all content on my iphone 3gs when it was unlocked using the ipad firmware for 4.2.1, now i cant get it to startup again. does anyone have any idea whats to do? im desperate!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I believe yours is tethered jailbroken with redsn0w when it was upgrade to baseband. So, just connect it to your PC/Mac and boot it up with Redsn0w.

3. HPLouis macrumors regular

Erasing all content deletes the OS.

You'll have to reload your firmware and jailbreak again.

Henry

4. clin86 thread starter macrumors regular

i did. it tried it again and it just gets stuck at the plug into itunes logo. im worried that i bricked the phone.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I respectful disagree on this. When resetting all content, all data and media on the iphone are deleted. You must sync iPhone with your computer to restore contacts, songs, videos, and other data and media.

With the regular phone, the phone should go back to the emergency call screen. All you need to do is to pop in the AT&T to activate the phone.

As for OP's phone, because it has the ipad baseband and because it is 3GS with tethered jailbreak, the phone can't boot up with the help of redsn0w and that the reason it hangs with the apple logo.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Because your phone has the Ipad baseband on it, you can't restore it with the official firmware from Apple. You need to look for a 4.2.1 customs firmware from your friend with a Mac or from internet to restore it with.

7. HPLouis macrumors regular

OP,
    Did you hit "Reset All Settings" or "Erase All Content and Setting"?

8. clin86 thread starter macrumors regular

9. clin86 thread starter macrumors regular

what do you mean custom firmware? would it be saved on my computer somewhere?
    any idea where to find it on the internet though?

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Here is the previous thread on this issue. You can follow the direction from here;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1064509

11. clin86 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the link.
    i tried the instructions out but got stuck at redsn0w being unable to recognize the specified IPSW. any clue whats going on? seems like the rest of the forum members on that thread were able to use that IPSW