Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
This seems like it should be straightforward. My iPhone 4 touchscreen is dead. While it gets repaired/replaced, I'd like to use my old iPhone 3GS, which has been reset to factory settings, cleared of all data, and is basically in an as-new state.

Having upgraded iPhones 3 times now, my experience tells me that restoring from backup should set up the 3GS as a new phone, activating it and transferring everything over. It has always been painless. This time, however, while data, apps, settings, etc. are all copied over, the phone is not activated and I don't get any service.

Is there something about reverting to an older model that prevents iTunes from treating my 3GS as a new phone? This is crazy annoying.

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
I guess you can't do this on your own. I had to go to an AT&T store and get a new SIM card to activate the old phone. I'll have to repeat the process once I get my fixed iPhone 4 back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.