Restore and not update?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spaceboots06, Aug 16, 2010.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi,

I have an iPhone 4 running 4.0.1. I want to restore it and not update. How do I do this? Thank you. I know it involves downloading 4.0.1 somewhere and then using option + restore button to select it but I can't find out any specific instructions.

2. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Go to this link:

http://www.quickpwn.com/2010/07/ios...le-for-iphone-4-iphone-3gs-and-iphone-3g.html

And download the 4.0.1 ispw for the iPhone 4.

Then in itunes, while your phone is connected, (if on a mac) ALT + Click the restore button, and select the ispw file you downloaded.

If on a PC, Shift + CLick the restore button and do the same thing. Let it do it's thing, and then just set up as a new phone. Unless you want to restore from a backup.

Do this quickly before apple stops signing this update.

3. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I was reading other threads- could you explain what shsh or blobs are exactly?

4. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Dont worry about SHSH or blobs

Luckily Apple is still signing the 4.0.1 update which means you can do the method I just posted with no problems.

I just did it about 30 minutes ago and it worked perfectly.

5. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Ah, okay. Thank you.

6. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Like I said, do it quickly before Apple stops signing the update and you have trouble verifying the software.

That is when SHSH blobs come into play. For now keep it simple.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why did you write he shouldn't worry? If he can still get in he should save his blobs using tinyUmbrella.

8. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Because all he asked was how to restore without updating?

He never mentioned he had any intention of jailbreaking, and it seems like this will be a one time thing.

No need to get in depth and confuse someone even more who doesn't need to be.

9. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I'm doing this because I'm going to be re-jailbreaking. Apparently jailbreaking it screwed up Safari, so I'm going to try again. I haven't bothered with jailbreaking for about a year now because it made my 3G very slow and now I'm trying to catch up to speed.

10. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Ah okay. Well I wish you would have mentioned that -_-

But anwyays, then I would suggest downloading Tiny Umbrella :

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Now when you download the application, make sure you copy the app to your desktop or anywhere else, dont run it out of the DMG file.

While in it, plug your iphone in, and then select "save my SHSH". it will work for a while, but let it do the work.

After a while you should get a message saying that 1 SHSH was saved successfully and it should be the 4.0.1 file.

You will need this for if you accidentally go to 4.0.2 sometime, and also if you want to restore and make changes in the future after Apple stops signing the update.

That file that saves is essentially what your "SHSH Blob" is.

11. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I can confirm that Apple is still signing the last firmware. All you have to do a Option select the file and hit Restore in iTunes. Did my iPhone 4 last night.