Restore and Update?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sjr19, Apr 6, 2009.

1. sjr19 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have a jailbroken iPhone running 2.2.0. I want to unjailbreak and go back to the original, legit iPhone setup.

Currently, the firmware is at 2.2.1. iTunes is asking me when i click on restore to "Update and Restore"... would this brick my phone? Should I find a 2.2.0 ipsw, restore using that, and then update to 2.2.1? Thanks for your time

Steve

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Your thread is confusing. First you said that your phone is 2.2, then it's 2.2.1. I assume that the first is a typo.
    If your phone doesn't need to be unlocked for use, then Update and restore, which will put you at a fresh 2.2.1.

3. sjr19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, what i mean is my phone is a jailbroken 2.2.0

The current official release of the firmware is at 2.2.1 -- so when i try to restore, itunes wants to download the update AND restore... and i'm not sure if i should

4. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

No prob with that. I did that with mine a couple of months back. From JB 2.2, just do a clean restore with iTunes, then set up as a new iPhone. That will automatically download firmware 2.2.1 and ure good to go. For me, I did a clean restore then only did i restore to most recent back up settings. However, I realised that emoji was still existant in stock 2.2.1, unlike the other JB'ed apps and "settings". Can't seem to make that go away.

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Just restore and update. Nothing to worry about:)

6. sjr19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ben and jarjar, iTunes is downloading the update and i'll be restoring right after that.

One last thing, after I do that, is it ok to restore my settings from a previous, legit, backup?

Thanks!

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Yes it is, just go ahead and restore the backup. itunes doesn't back up any of the jailbreak stuff so it's not going to be a problem.