Restore as new, but save photos/texts/notes etc?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xplosive1, Apr 2, 2012.

1. xplosive1 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to restore my iphone 4 as new, however, I would still like to be able to save/keep my:

-texts/photos/notes/contacts/whatsapp msgs/
    -maybe some game data, but that's not important

My phone is buggy, and over the years I have downloaded installed/uninstalled many applications/games/etc. So I hear that setting up as new, would be a great option, however I would like to keep the few things I mentioned earlier. I am fine with losing other settings (wifi passwords, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    (I am currently jailbroken on IOS 5.0.1)

2. confucious macrumors 6502

Photos can just be copied off and back on again.
    Contacts - just synch to your contact app and synch back again.
    Texts are a bit more difficult - if you are JB you can just copy out the DB and copy it back in - not sure if there is an app that can do it.
    No idea with whatsapp msgs.

3. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

iCloud works great for this, just an FYI for the future.

4. xplosive1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys. Thanks for the info, I will try to see if I can figure out how to copy the DB files and past the Database files. I will see what I can figure out about the whatsapp messages, if anything, as well.

If I backup with iCloud (I have never used it), when I sync back the phone after a new restore, will it copy all the settings back?

Is there much of a benefit to restoring my iphone as new, as opposed to using a previous backup and not having to worry about copying/pasting files.

5. confucious macrumors 6502

iCloud works great for backups - but it's just like backing up to iTunes and restoring - it works, but won't clear out all the cr*p you have accumulated, you might as well just restore from iTunes.

6. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

iCloud only backs up what is in the app, contacts, app saves, calendars, reminders etc etc, nothing else as far as custom settings

7. laurenr macrumors 6502a

There are 2 apps that will allow you to mount the iPhone as an external drive, and extract only the data you want. I recently read some articles on the subject:
    http://bohemianboomer.com/2012/03/how-to-backup-files-from-your-iphone-to-your-mac-free-and-easy/

http://mac360.com/2010/07/use-your-mac-to-dig-deeper-into-iphones-secrets/

8. xplosive1 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's interesting, this might be a good way to do the restore and fix the errors (all misc crap files that may be pending from previous app installs). I didn't know this about iCloud before. Thanks

These look quite promising, the problem for me is that I do not currently own a mac.

9. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Here is a PC application that will extract the date you want to your computer:

http://www.imacsoft.com/iphone-to-pc-transfer.html

Quote from their site:
    "iMacsoft iPhone to PC Transfer, the excellent iPhone to PC and PC to iPhone software, is specially designed for iPhone users. It can fast transfer Music, Movie, Photo, ePub, PDF, Audiobook, Voice Memo, Camera Roll (iOS 4 above), Ringtone, Podcast, TV Show, SMS, Contact, Call List from iPhone to PC and iPhone to iTunes library directly. This iPhone to PC Transfer can also copy Music, Movie, Podcast and TV Show from PC to iPhone efficiently and simply."