Restore as New Phone but preserve Camera Roll and SMS

pathumx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
I may have to restore and setup my iPhone 4 as new to fix some issues. I've been trying to find a way to keep my SMS and Camera Roll. Camera Roll I don't care too much about, but SMS I definitely want. I haven't seen a reliable method described, does anyone know of any?

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
if you back up your iPhone to your computer doesn't it keep everything the way it was once your done your restore?

pathumx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
if you back up your iPhone to your computer doesn't it keep everything the way it was once your done your restore?
only if you restore from backup. but if i set it up as a new phone, I can't restore from backup. thus losing everything like the SMS and the camera roll.

pathumx

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2008
i jailbroke and saved the SMS folder to my computer via SSH. then i restored it using SSH. Camera Roll I wasn't able to find anything, so I just saved all of the images into a single event in Aperture and i'm going to resync them that way. I read on an apple KB article that this way will make backups smaller and faster.

utahman130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2012
I may have to restore and setup my iPhone 4 as new to fix some issues. I've been trying to find a way to keep my SMS and Camera Roll. Camera Roll I don't care too much about, but SMS I definitely want. I haven't seen a reliable method described, does anyone know of any?
Yep, you can! :)

Download PhoneView here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.