restore backup from time machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by calabi, Jun 3, 2008.

1. calabi macrumors regular

hi there, i've been backing up time machine for a while now but never done a restore, just wanted some advice!

my laptop has just gone away for repair, when it is back, it will almost certainly have a new hard disk and fresh install of leopard.

i have only been backing up my /home/user directory and wanted to know if when i restore from the migration assistant will it restore all my itunes settings? or will this be a bit of a problem?

2. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

Boot your laptop from the Leopard install DVD then from the drop down menu select restore from time machine, chose the backup you want and your mac is the same as it was before.

It worked for me once with no problems or lose of anything at all.

3. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

do i do this even if i was only backing up my /home/user directory?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im not sure as ive never done a Time Machine restore but i think restoring a backup from the Install DVD is for a FULL system backup. as the OP is only backing up his/her home directory with Time Machine he/she should restore the Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant in Setup Assistant just after the intro movie plays.

5. shiunn macrumors 6502

Once you've formatted, and set up everything as brand new, will Time Machine allow you to simply drag and drop from the backup hdd? or will folder access be restricted?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

not sure… you can try it if you want! but i would rather do it via the way that Apple intended… that is using the Install Disc or Migration Assistant.

7. shiunn macrumors 6502

I see...
    It's just me being overly cautious. I don't know why I have this feeling it's 'cleaner' to copy and paste...
    But...I'll stick to migration. thanks!

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ the backups are "hard links" rather than the actual files so it may or may not work.

9. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

These instructions are from OS X Help.

10. shiunn macrumors 6502

i know i should try it before i ask, but is it possible to only restore certain files? afterall, i like to start afresh after a new install, so I only need my document folders, photos, music, desktop. I dont want the settings to be carried over...

11. calcalcal macrumors newbie

if you have backed up your files to a networked external drive can you still restore alongside the osx disk??

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use this guide http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301239

13. dringkor macrumors member

I recently reinstalled Leopard (erase and install) on my wife's PowerBook and used Migration Assistant to restore her home directory (which is all I had Time Machine backing up) and all her iTunes content and settings were intact.