Restore Backup to Leopard

wolfy357

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Hello all,
So heres the skinny:
I recently had my Macbook stolen, after much grieving I am going to buy a MBP to cheer myself up. Before my Macbook got stolen, I had backed up a bootable clone (thankfully) with SuperDuper to an external HD.

My backed up system: Macbook 10.4.8
Western Digital Firewire/USB 2.0 Combo External Drive. There are two GUID volumes currently mounted on the drive. ---Backup: Bootable Clone (via SuperDuper) of everything except music/movies, ---Storage: Movies/Music

Now, I know the new MBP's ship with Leopard probably on a disk. I would like to find the most painless way to restore my old files, music (30 GB in Itunes), and applications--without having to re-enter serial numbers for app's--and have everything functional in Leopard. Now, I know some of my older apps havent been updated for Leopard yet. Should I restore the bootable clone to the Tiger OS that will most likely come pre-installed on my new MBP? Or install Leopard first than copy over everything. I unfortunately have never had to do this, so I guess what I'm asking is what is the best step-by-step method to have everything functional in Leopard?

Thanks,
-Drew

wolfy357

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Thanks to everyone for there responses...wow, and I was under the assumption that this forum contained the most knowledgeable mac gurus. :confused:

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
Thanks to everyone for there responses...wow, and I was under the assumption that this forum contained the most knowledgeable mac gurus. :confused:
Plug the external drive into your new MBP and fire up Migration Assistant. It should be able to migrate your home directory and Applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.