Restore before 4.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AppleFan360, May 10, 2010.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Quick question. To avoid any major issues with 4.0 (or avoid bricking my iPhone), should I "un-jailbreak" my iPhone by restoring 3.1.3 before 4.0 gets released?

I'm currently running 3.1.3 jailbroken by spirit.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I doubt its going to make a vast amount of difference, but Im going to do it just to be safe.

3. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

Another quick question.

Will there be a problem when I un-jailbreak my phone then restore the iTunes backup when the phone was in a jailbroken state?

4. Zell84 macrumors member

No restoring it should just resync your contacts, music, etc, If I'm not mistaken.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

^^^ Yes, from a restore it just syncs the contacts etc which are stored on your computer back onto the iPhone.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/8A260b Safari/531.21.10)

If you restore from backup it'll put some jailbreK data back.

7. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

If you restore as a "new phone" no jb data should cross over. Then just sync all your personal stuff after that.....I think.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

from my experience restoring from a 3.1 backup after installing 4.0 I had issues which I initially thought for ages was the beta software but as soon as I did a clean install and setup as new iPhone all issues I had been facing had gone

9. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

What sort of data is placed back onto the phone? Would Apple see it if I needed to take the iPhone in for repair?

10. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Settings, preferences, etc. Also, if you used anything like a tethering hack, modify the carrier string, adding battery percentage to a 3G, all those stay in your backups. Any additional files/folders that get saved to the mail folder structure will also still be present. So if they browse the file system looking for jailbreak files, they'll see them. Your only 100% sure way is to do a full restore and setup as a new phone.

11. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info. Guess I will setup as a new phone to make sure.

What about if I have a backup before the phone was jailbroken? That backup file should be fine right?