Restore Certificate/Key from Time Machine

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by vodouman, Jul 8, 2012.

1. vodouman macrumors regular

Hard drive destroyed itself and I did a clean install. Is it possible for me to restore my iOS developer key/certificates from the Time Machine backup or will I have to get new ones?

I can't remember how the process to obtain them went in the first place so I can't remember what I actually need to restore or where they are located in the file system.

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

they should be in your keychain acces :)
    You need a Apple certificate + your own certificate + a provisioning profile.

3. vodouman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. I can't restore it from my Time Machine unfortunately.

I keep getting code sign errors and I can't run anything on the device. I'm all so confused about what I'm doing. I followed Apple's tutorial located here: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#DOCUMENTATION/Xcode/Conceptual/ios_development_workflow/40-iOS_Development_Troubleshooting_Guide/ios_development_troubleshooting.html

Which still doesn't get it working. I end up with 'Code Sign error: A valid provisioning profile matching the application's Identifier could not be found'

Any suggestions?

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I had a situation where I wasn't able to get my keys or anything... here's what I did which worked pretty well and took less than an hour to do:

1 - Delete all the developer keys and certificates and such from your computer.
    2 - Wipe them out on your developer account at Apple's website.
    3 - Make sure Xcode is fully up to date - bring it up to date if it's not. The version you'll need only runs on Lion... possibly only the newest version of Lion, at that, and it's only available from the App Store.
    4 - I believe Xcode will automatically request, get, and install everything for you once it's up to date and you open the provisioning profiles window... I think it'll request your dev password and stuff at the start, then offer to set it all up, you hit okay, and then just sit back and relax while it whips through setting it all up.

When it finishes setting it all up, it'll offer to archive everything for you. Tell it to do so, and store that archive with a service like Dropbox or Google Drive. Why with a service like that? Because you may not be able to physically access any other hard drive you store it on. Maybe you'll be working from another computer that's hundreds of miles away.

I think you'll find getting new keys and such will be much easier than restoring the old ones. (Don't worry... although the process still seems more convoluted than it should be, IMO, Apple has made it dramatically easier than it was even a year ago... words don't exist to describe how much easier it is than it was when the iOS SDK was first released.)