Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Trying to break my Ipad mini. Have been able to get the jailbreak to go through successfully, but when I try to restore from my last backup it overwrites the jailbreak.

My process was to backup, restore the iPad, jailbreak it, then restore from backup. The process seems to follow the instructions, unless I am missing something.

Any ideas on why the restore keeps clearing out the break?

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Restore your backup & THEN JB

edit:
OR clean fresh install of ios then restore your back up then JB
Or setup as new

edit #2
If you JB prior to restore of your backup, the jailbreak IS still intact, you will find that the cydia icon is missing, therefore if you tried to JB again, it will say you are already jailbroken and it is NOT advised to do it again.
Therefore just start from scratch and JB after you replaced all your data

Last edited:

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Restore your backup & THEN JB

edit:
OR clean fresh install of ios then restore your back up then JB
Or setup as new

I thought in the past they said it was best to JB with a fresh image and then restoring after the JB. Did that change on the release? I know for 6 I did the JB and then restored from backup.

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Well I figured I would try to JB the ipad since it was still a fresh restor. When I tried to JB it told me it was already Jailbroken and doing it again was not recommended. How can I find the Cydia app which I am not finding in the search. Feel like I am almost there now.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Well I figured I would try to JB the ipad since it was still a fresh restor. When I tried to JB it told me it was already Jailbroken and doing it again was not recommended. How can I find the Cydia app which I am not finding in the search. Feel like I am almost there now.

In your previous jailbreak, did you hide cydia by chance?

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
See my edit #2 above ;)

If you JB prior to restore of your backup, the jailbreak IS still intact, you will find that the cydia icon is missing, therefore if you tried to JB again, it will say you are already jailbroken and it is NOT advised to do it again.
Therefore just start from scratch and JB after you replaced all your data

tek210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
In your previous jailbreak, did you hide cydia by chance?

I launched the app, installed activator just so I would have some other app as a reference and then I did the restore, I did not hide the cydia app. I will restore again and try it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.