Restore Error 1013 Over and Over - What should I do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmack549, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Today at work I pulled out my phone and the "Connect to iTunes" logo was showing. So I plugged it in and it told me it needed to restore...so I did. I tried it at least 20 times, 15 of those it would give error 1013. The other times it would say I didn't have a valid sim card installed (it's valid, it's AT&T, using it in my Blackberry right now).

So I came home and tried it on my iMac, and Windows laptop, all 3 doing the same thing. I'm thinking/hoping it might be something physically wrong, so I was planning on making an appointment at the genius bar which I've never done.

My question is, before I got that initial error at work this morning, it was jailbroken. Will they be able to tell? I should also note that once or twice it would actually restore and work, but after a restart it would kick me back to the restore logo.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

Go to google, type tinyumbrella, download and run, plug in the phone, click "Exit Recovery"

Done

3. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

isnt 1013 your host file being altered? had the same error when I tried to JB this time around on my PC. Had to go to windows/system32/driver/etc then edit the hosts file with notepad and removed anything that I think said gs.apple.com(something like that) then save and restart my computer and after that the restore went perfect. No idea about your sim issue but thats how I fixed my 1013 issue

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

The reason you can sometimes fix it by fixing your hosts file is Apple signs the baseband at the end of the restore. If you have the latest baseband, then ya editing the hosts file will allow the baseband to be signed. But if you have an older baseband, Apple wont sign it even with the hosts file edited.

So just stick with the TU solution.

5. cyclone84 macrumors regular

This happened to me tonight. The TU "solution" did not work.

Instead, google FixRecovery43, download the zip, unzip it, put your device in DFU mode, and run FixRecovery43.exe. Worked great for me!

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Open Tiny umbrella, go to advance mode, uncheck the box that says leave host file to Cydia on exit. Close tiny umbrella.

Now restore your phone through iTunes you will not get an error and it will restore normally.

7. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Ahh thanks for the clarification

8. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

No luck, just reboots back to recovery.

Tried this earlier, tons of different variations, no dice.

Tried this earlier too. Just boots to a white screen.

Just tried this, still nothing.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am very well versed with this kind of stuff so it's really blowing my mind. My first question still stands though, will the Genius Bar be able to tell my iPhone was JB before?

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

That is goobly gook.

Apple will always try to upgrade to the latest baseband and one of two things happen. It successfully signs and updates to the latest baseband, or it fails this process and errors out 1015.

The reason people are having problems is that TU has changed their host file and pointing to Cydia instead of apple. Cydia can fake out the signing of the firmware if it has SHSH but is not capable of signing the baseband.

The solution is to get your host file back to apple from Cydia, so that apple can sign both firmware and baseband. The problem was created by TU and hence the best way to fix it is to prevent TU changing the host file and leaving it changed when you close it. hence unchecking the box under advance mode in TU.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Open a terminal window on you computer and type the following command

Ping gs.apple.com

You will get an ip address back either beginning 127 or 74

If you get 127.x.x.x your host file is correct.

If you get 74.x.x.x you are still pointing to cydia

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

The instruction from Nebo1ss on post # 6 should work. Just to reiterate, because you have TU on your PC and even when TU is not running, it is still pointing you to Cydia. So, what you need to do is as follow;

1. Open TU
    2. Click on advance tab
    3. uncheck the box "set hosts to Cydia on exit"
    4. click apply change at button at the corner lower right, then close TU
    5. connect your Iphone to your PC
    6. Put your Iphone into DFU mode.
    7. Click restore in itunes.

this should put your iphone back to the factory setting. Please try and report back if it is working.

Please try again and report back. Thanks

12. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, mine is 17.112.xxx.xx. Any ideas?

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You have something else going on there. Perhaps you might want to print out your host file and post it here. If you need help to do that post back.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Just checked 17.112.x.x and it is an apple server.

If you do a dfu restore now it should work.

15. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, did it again with no luck.

Just tried it again, no luck. :(

Oh well, I may just take it to Apple, I wonder if it could really be something wrong with the phone. I've had trouble in the past, but nothing that a host file fix couldn't resolve. I really appreciate all the time everyone has devoted to helping me with this, just wish it would work.

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Before you take it back to Apple might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. Or even try a different computer if younhave one available.

17. bludragon06 macrumors regular

18. kre62 macrumors 68000

Way to say Im wrong then repost what I said, worded a little different and with needless detail.

19. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried reinstalling, and I've tried it on 3 different computers. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks, but I tried this yesterday too. No dice.

20. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Here is what you said
    "If you have the latest baseband, then ya editing the hosts file will allow the baseband to be signed. But if you have an older baseband, Apple wont sign it even with the hosts file edited."

That is garbage: It does not matter what baseband is on the phone latest or old baseband, what matters is the baseband you are trying to install. The host file editing determines if you are even going to apple as opposed to cydia and not if apple will sign an old baseband.

21. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh well, it's over :( Took it to Apple and they couldn't fix it, had no idea what was wrong with it. It's out of warranty, so I'm just going to throw it on eBay or something. Thanks for trying guys!

22. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Kill iTunes.
    Go to: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc
    You should delete hosts.tinyumbrella.
    Open "hosts" using Notepad.
    Delete "gs.apple.com" from the bottom of list.
    Save "hosts".
    Boot iTunes back up, and 1013 should be gone.

Apple said itself that 1013 is the hosts file preventing the connection to the update server. By deleting TinyUmbrella's hosts file and fixing the real hosts file, it unblocks it. This is guaranteed to work.

23. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Really don't think it will. They tried to do a regular restore and a DFU restore at the Apple store. I'll try again.

24. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

It works. I've done it at least a thousand times.
    If this doesn't work against all odds. download iREB and follow the instructions it gives you.

25. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

If you use a mac look at the top bar, go to "GO" then go to "GO TO FOLDER" type in /etc/ it will open up a folder with a lot of files, look for "HOSTS" copy it onto your desktop. open it up then you will see for ex: 55.272.20.269 gs.apple.com. in front of the gs.apple.com put a "#" then save the file thats on your desktop and drag back into the folder that is open. after that you will be able to restote.