Restore external drive backed up TM -CCC not working, finder dot36

MacDonaldTrump

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
In need of some help please.

My WD8TB fell maybe an inch or two while powered on, dead.

This was my master image folder, I had it backed up via TM which I have verified the Info in there.

I have been trying to just copy that folder over to a new hard rive, the folder is inside backups - latest - LR IMAGES 3TB of my image files.

I cannot just copy this folder as I keep getting error 36 - dot cleans never seem to help)
I had advice on here to get CCCloner which has always worked when dot36 doesn't.
Now though CCCloner will not allow me to get into the folders contained in the BACKUP, if I drag the folder into CCCloner, I receive an error?

Can anyone suggest a way to copy the 3TB of images sitting in my TM backup?
Uni starts Monday, bad time for this.

Thanks so much

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"Now though CCCloner will not allow me to get into the folders contained in the BACKUP, if I drag the folder into CCCloner, I receive an error?"

CCC clones drives, not folders.

Here's what I suggest you do:
PRINT OUT this reply for reference and follow in exact order presented.
1. Get the problem drive mounted
2. Get your backup (target) drive mounted
3. Open CCC
4. Put the source (problem) drive on the left
5. Put the target drive "in the middle"
6. Next -- IMPORTANT -- on the left, choose "some files" from the "clone" popup menu
7. Now you're going to have to go through the entire list, and UNCHECK EVERYTHING that you DON'T WANT to be copied. Yes, this is going to take some time.
8. Once you have this done, click the clone button

CCC will copy only those folders/files you left checked. If there are "problem files" encountered (corrupt, etc.), CCC will SKIP OVER those files and continue to clone the good ones. When done, CCC will present you with a list of files that could not be copied.

MacDonaldTrump

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
Thanks Fisherman, I tried exactly the steps you mentioned.
Unfortunately, I cant seem to drill through the TM backup folders using CCCloner. I only see the paths you can see in my screenshot.

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 11.21.04 am.png

I thought I was having a win, I opened up TM after opening computer in finder, I was then able to view the folder LR IMAGES I then tried to restore, it was working overnight. this morning it failed due to a NEF file not being able to be written. So back to where I was

MacDonaldTrump

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
Well, I don't use Time Machine, I've never used it, and I don't recommend it.

You're finding out why, right now!

I agree, I remember now why I never liked time machine. The idea is great, accessing the files was always tough. I hoped it had improved.
I am having issues with carbon copy cloner, also not copying the files- gives me an error that CR2 could not be read or write.
Finder giving me error 36 if I try a direct copy.
Restoring from TM was working, then failed due to NEF file.

I have repaired permissions using terminal, I am not showing up in my MAC HD as a user/administrator and can add myself (get a permission error)

wondering if it's a permission thing? causing the problems.

I have always had permission errors on this Mac, even on clean install. not sure why.

MacDonaldTrump

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
Can anyone help with permission errors?
It seems to continue happening on this machine, various drives including Mac HD are not allowing me permissions.
I have tried various steps, apple terminal script to repair permissions, clean installs, disk utility erasing drives, etc

Now for no reason another drive is not allowing me to write, it is formatted Mac OS, has been running fine no problems (new hard drive - I bought to try to correct these issues)

Is it
a - the Mac?
b - Mojave?
c - my drives?

It is continually problematic, I have reset PRAMS, SMC, dot cleaned any and everything else I can think.
Any help greatly appreciated.