Restore External HDD Time Machine backup to another External HDD

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Pistol Peto, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Pistol Peto macrumors member

Pistol Peto

Here's my issue...

I have a Time Machine backup from an old computer (which I don't have any more) on an external HDD. I just finished setting up a new Mac Pro and did not migrate anything over to it. I just loaded programs from the App Store and loaded data from my dropbox account.

Is it possible for me to restore the old computer's backup to another external HDD? In doing so I would have the data in a usable form that I can pick through to find files that were not in dropbox (like iCloud files in library, photos from iPhoto, iMovie file, etc.)

I hope I've made this problem clear - and would really appreciate some help here :)

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just use Migration Assistant to get music, videos, pictures. However don't transfer Network settings because Apple constantly streamline their network stack in each OS X version.

3. Pistol Peto thread starter macrumors member

Pistol Peto

That was fast... and very good advice. Here's a followup because I found another issue. :(

The folder where the backups are have three time machine backups. They appear as subfolders but only two show up as choices when I try Migration Assistant. Of course I want the one that doesn't show up!

It may have something to do with the fact that I copied this backup from one hard drive to this hard drive.

Any ideas?

4. Pistol Peto thread starter macrumors member

Pistol Peto

Figured it out...

I've got it figured out... thanks for your help!