Restore factory icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flyingscott, Jul 7, 2008.

1. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

I inherited a mac at work and the previous user customized a lot of the icons for the hard drive(s), itunes, safari, etc... I was assuming that creating a new user would reset the icons back to their OSX standard, but I was wrong.

Is there a command that will reset the icons back to the factory defaults?

Thanks!
    :apple:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I found a command-line tool that is capable of doing what you want. It's called SetFile, and is part of Apple's developer tools. Alas, you can't mass-set things with this tool - it only works with one file at a time. That said, you CAN use another tool, called GetFileInfo, in combination with the find command to find all files with custom icons set, then use SetFile to clear them, all at once. This requires a little bit of shell scripting.

Here's its manual page.

3. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

I just realized that if you do a "get info" (⌘+I) on said app or drive, you can just select the icon (small one in upper left corner of the window) and hit ⌘+X, it will delete and revert to the old.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, that will fix it. My solution allows you to mass-fix all the custom icons in one fell swoop.;)

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Download LiteIcon and choose restore all icons under the file menu. I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure it'll do what you need.

6. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

Good find!

Your solution is good as well!