Restore Fails At "Syncing Apps..."

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rossw99, Sep 11, 2014.

1. rossw99 macrumors newbie

I have a 4S, and was running iOS 8 Beta 5. Last night I tried to upgrade to GM. I sync'd and backed up fine then started the restore. Everything worked fine until it started the restore from backup. I am running on Windows 7 w/ iTunes 11.4.0.18, and it fails at the point of "Syncing Apps to xxx Step 5 of 5)"

On my phone all of the icons are in the correct place but they all say "Waiting..." My email accounts are on my phone, so are my notes, and pictures.

I have tried uninstalling iTunes, updating Windows, and no matter what I do the restore fails at the same point. I have even tried going back to 7.1.2 and an old backup and the same error and the same place comes up.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated to get this restore to complete or to allow me to "complete" it manually and reinstall apps?

2. AndrewS macrumors member

I had this happen on a couple of devices. I just unplugged the cable from them and plugged it in again and it restarted the sync and worked perfectly after that.

3. rossw99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I could be so lucky.

At this point, I would be happy to stop iTunes from Syncing apps and let me delete and reinstall apps.

4. jef82 macrumors member

5. rossw99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not found anything which works, but I have been able to reinstall all apps. I have not tried to hook up to iTunes again and try sync.

6. jef82 macrumors member

Ok, thanks for the reply. I will do the same.

7. rossw99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update, this worked for me and I don't think I lost anything. Does not mean you will have the same luck.

1. Manually reinstalled all apps I wanted to keep.
    2. The apps I did not want to keep I deleted from the phone AND unmarked for install under app on my phone in iTunes.
    3. Cancelled the sync
    4. Performed a manual back... then it just worked.

I did have to repeat 2-4 a couple times as I had missed an app or two which I had removed from my phone and had missed unmarking for install in iTunes.

8. jef82 macrumors member

Yeah, I have just did it and it worked for me to. Thank you very much!!

9. rossw99 thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW... just got an iPhone 6 and the same iTunes crash occurred on restoring apps. I was hoping it would not happen with a new phone.

At least I know a work around ;-)