Restore from backup - apps restoring/loading VERY slowly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ckeck, Sep 26, 2015.

1. ckeck, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Got my new 6S Plus yesterday and on my existing 6 I turned off a bunch of things, updated all apps I wanted as part of the backup (some have data I need) and then I did a clean backup.

Loaded up the new phone and restored from that latest backup and everything went well for the most part except my dang apps are not restoring/downloading, at least not most of them. They are just sitting there with that black/grayed out look and when I tap them it says waiting.

I've done a hard reboot which didn't help, tapped through them all so they all say "waiting" and left it overnight. In 10 hours it downloaded about 6-7 apps by itself. What the heck is going on?

If I go download a new app from the store it will work. If I load up purchased apps and "stop" the download of one that was part of the restore and trigger the download again it works, but it loses all the backup data and pulls it out of my app groups. Defeats the entire purpose at that point.

Anyone else having this issue or know what to do? I can't even update with the hot fix iOS 9 patch because it wants these app downloads to finish first...

:mad:

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

How many apps did you have. Mine took about 30 minutes to reload. Assume you are on fast WiFi.

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

40-50 apps or so...which should have loaded in about 30 minutes on even a slow connection...except I'm on a 200 Mbps fiber connection. That's not it unfortunately.

I've tried on someone else's network just in case though and the behavior is the same. Thought it was the Apple App Store servers but it doesn't appear that anyone else (in large part) is having the same issue...

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There are multiple threads about sluggish iPhones. I was thinking they were trying to use their phone while is was still downloading apps and doing other housekeeping. Maybe it is slow because everyone is trying to do the same thing. I did not have near that many apps and it went pretty fast. Was sluggish for about 20 minutes and then all was slick fast after that. Agree yours should have gone quicker.

5. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Are you restoring OTA from iCloud or from an iTunes backup? I restored from an iTunes backup and it's the fastest I've ever seen my phone sync Apps, Music, Videos, etc.

6. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Was restoring OTA. All Apple apps and iCloud data restored perfectly, it's just the apps that didn't...and they are taking about 30 min-1 hour EACH to load. Never seen anything like this.

Been 2 days now and still only 50% of apps are loaded. Think I'm just going to do a clean wipe and set things up manually and just manually pull some of the data from my old phone. Ridiculous.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My iCloud backup failed to install a few apps, they stayed greyed out so I deleted them and rebooted, then downloaded them manually without a hitch. I expect the Apple servers ar being overloaded with everyone trying to do the same thing around launch day?

8. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

That is what I initially had thought but almost everyone else here didn't report problems, and if I picked something new from the App Store it would download fine.

I needed the restore as several critical apps had data that was stored in iCloud, so deleting and reinstalling wasn't an option. Will have to figure something else out now.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Perhaps it depends on size of the backup? Mine was/is huge and took just over four hours. I have a ton of photos and videos, plus around 70 apps.

10. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Same here [OTA iCloud restore]. Mine was about 4 or 5 hours total, I just left it plugged in overnight and was done in the morning. Huge amount of photos/apps/etc on 128 GB size phone (I don't use all of that of course, but still have a lot of things stored).

11. BillTall macrumors newbie

12. BillTall macrumors newbie

Have the exact same problem under same conditions you described. Going on 24 hours for me. I restored from an iTunes backup with a fast connection. Hopefully someone will offer a solution other than reloading each app from the store.

13. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

Had the same issues. Had a backup on iCloud but it was too slow so restored from a backup on iTunes which I had created earlier in the day while I was waiting on delivery but still took overnight before everything loaded. I think mine might have been slow because I had some old outdated apps on iTunes, since I haven't used it for a backup since iCloud came out.

This had to be the worst startup experience I have ever had with the iPhone and I have had all but the very first one. Normally I do a clean install but with Apple Watch that wasn't an option this year unless I wanted to loose that data. Hopefully next year Apple will do the health data and activities as a backup file like contacts and other data so we won't have to restore a new iPhone with an old iPhone backup.

14. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Well glad to see it's not just me but really strange. My backup was only about 2GB...I do not store music or photos on iCloud, so it was literally just app preferences, some app storage data, preferences, etc.

All the main stuff was restored during the main process in ~5 min or so, it's just the app installs that aren't doing anything or installing insanely slowly.

STILL going on 50+ hours later...going to just backup app specific data by hand and wipe and not restore from any backup, then reinstall apps individually. Can't wait for this anymore.

Thanks for chiming in everyone.