Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Is there any difference? I have 3 gb of "other" data that I want to get rid of.

Does it matter if I restore from backup from the computer or iCloud? I was really hoping to restore from backup on the computer since I have a ton of comic's synced to my comic book app that I would have to add back to the iPad individually.

Is there a benefit to restoring from the full backup on the computer and the iCloud?

FotoDirk

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
If you backup to the computer than the app is copied to your computer. So restoring will install the exact same app. Further this sync is using the cable or your wifi. So this is not using your internet connection (might be important if you have lower speed or limited volume).

If you bakcup to iCloud then only the references towards the apps are stored in iCloud. When restoring these apps are installed from the app store. Meaning you will install the last version of the app and if the app is not longer supported in the app store then it will not be installed. It will use the internet connection for all these downloads.

The other data is data used by apps. For instance the standard mail app will store the synced mails in this other data. This data is normally also stored in the backup as this is your working data for that app. It will be restored as well.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there a benefit to restoring from the full backup on the computer and the iCloud?

To me the big advantage of restoring from a backup on the computer is you can check the box to encrypt those backups, and by doing so it saves the passwords for all your iOS apps. When you restore you won't need to spend hours going into each app to reenter user names and passwords.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
To me the big advantage of restoring from a backup on the computer is you can check the box to encrypt those backups, and by doing so it saves the passwords for all your iOS apps. When you restore you won't need to spend hours going into each app to reenter user names and passwords.

That's a pro and a half

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
it's probably a lot faster to restore from a computer backup. I did it today for my new ipad mini ret. I've always done it via computer backup. As long as you update your apps and sync with itunes regularly, you'll have the latest versions of all apps. You'll also have all your passwords and app data files (some are stored in the cloud some are not) restored. Going over USB has to be faster than going over wifi.

Why doesn't apple support USB 3.0? that would make it even faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.