Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
My 6 is currently jailbroken and backed up, in preparation to restore onto my new 6s tomorrow. Will I run into any issues when I do this? I'm hoping that it'll just restore the non-jailbreak components, apps, settings, etc. to the new phone. Is this how it should go?

dokindo

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
My 6 is currently jailbroken and backed up, in preparation to restore onto my new 6s tomorrow. Will I run into any issues when I do this? I'm hoping that it'll just restore the non-jailbreak components, apps, settings, etc. to the new phone. Is this how it should go?

I'm in a similar situation jb 8.4 and want to keep the jb so will try restoring on to the 6s from iTunes. Will be trying later today so will let you know.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Any reason to do a full restore to get rid of jailbreak on the 6, then backup, then restore on the 6s?
Not unless you want to unjailbreak the 6. If you do, then put the phone in DFU mode before running an update and restore.

Just doing a restore through iTunes or an Erase and Install on the phone will cause a boot loop.

You'll be fine restoring from the backup though. All that's in there is the JB data for your tweaks and a backup of your sources.

You will find that very convenient when the next JB hits if you re-jailbreak because your JB tweak data will have been retained and you won't have to reset things back up.

darkintragedy

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Orange County
It'll work just fine but some jailbreak settings/folders will be restored, also.

This is correct. For example the saved images/videos of Phantom will get transferred over even though you won't have a way to access the, on the 6S

Any reason to do a full restore to get rid of jailbreak on the 6, then backup, then restore on the 6s?

No. If you want a "clean" backup delete every tweak I'm cydia and then clan up with icleaner.

I'm in a similar situation jb 8.4 and want to keep the jb so will try restoring on to the 6s from iTunes. Will be trying later today so will let you know.

The JB won't keep going from 8.4 to iOS 9 on the 6S

dokindo

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
The JB won't keep going from 8.4 to iOS 9 on the 6S

Thanks - I meant to say that I want to keep the jb on the 6, so would like to avoid updating that to 9. Good to know that I shouldn't have any issues restoring directly from jb 8.4 on the 6 to 9 on the 6s. Also nice to know that my jb sources and tweaks are retained.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Also nice to know that my jb sources and tweaks are retained.
Not your tweaks. I.e., if you restore from a JB backup and then jailbreak later, your tweaks are not going to automatically reappear.

The DATA for the tweaks, yes, but not the tweaks themselves - essentially the preferences of those tweaks. You still have to go out and reinstall the tweaks themselves, or if you used a backup such as PKGBackup you could restore your tweaks after you reinstalled PKGBackup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.