Restore from backup or new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by groggy2333, Sep 17, 2014.

1. groggy2333 macrumors regular

iphone 6 is on the way yay! currently have iphone 5. do you think i should start new or from backup? thing is if i start new, is there a way to backup and restore just the messages? they're precious to me. :)

2. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Always backup. It's insane to have to go through refilling your device when an iTunes backup is seamless and quick.

If you're looking for a different feel or something the new iPhone ships with iOS 8 so you're getting a new iOS and I would change the background with the new options they have.

3. groggy2333 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, in that case should I backup on the computer or icloud? Is there any difference?

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I'm going to load OS8 today get that all put together nice make a good backup on my computer than work from that. To me loading OS 8 now you can get any weird stuff out of the way ahead of time and it just might be better to go from OS8 to OS 8 than from OS7 to OS8. Just kind of makes sense to me.

5. groggy2333 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah that makes sense. going to download ios8 when i get home tonight.

6. anthonyfellows macrumors member

I would back up to the computer for this. It's going to be a lot faster. iCloud is nice, but I'd never want to depend on it 100%. Having a current backup in two places is always better than one anyway.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It depends on how much stuff you have. Music and photos can be resynced, and apps reinstalled. But some apps may have data you need to determine whether there's a way to extract it and restore it later. Like a file reader (Goodreader) may have files stored in it, and if you don't do a backup and restore, you'll lose that. Game save files are also something to consider.

8. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Yeah man, it's super quick to do a backup in your computer.

What I would do is to back it up Thursday night to iTunes (if you're getting your new iPhone on Friday.) Then selecting iCloud backup when you charge your phone and go to bed.

That way you'll have two backups, and when your new phone comes it's as simple as plugging it in and clicking restoring backup to your new phone.

If something catastrophic happens to your computer you'll have the iCloud one as well.

9. groggy2333 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay so it seems like the general consensus is to backup and restore. I do have about 5000 photos and a few videos too.. yes i horde media from what I had my first iPhone 3G years ago lol. This is why I got the 128GB.

10. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I view iCloud as more of a emergency backup if your on the road and your phone acts up. Computer is fast and if you have a lot of stuff will be much quicker.

The OS8 to OS8 transfer just seems to make sense as it maybe easier on the phone with any conflicts. I'm sure going from 7 to 8 will be fine but heck we have 2 days to burn anyway. Keep our mind off of tracking . Lol

11. Ries macrumors 68000

Restore from backup, then Reset all settings.

12. groggy2333 thread starter macrumors regular

yah i agree, it is much faster directly through computer cuz God knows I have lots of crap stored on my phone. the only reason why i was thinking to start new is because I wanted a clean slate. You know like when you format your SSD on your computer and install the OS again? Pain in the butt but i'm a little weird like that. Is there a program out there that will "clean" an iPhone? like get rid of extraneous information data etc..?

13. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

I would like to setup my wife's phone as new. But I have no idea how to get all of the contact info over while leaving out everything else. Anyone have any ideas?

14. groggy2333 thread starter macrumors regular

i think you can store your contacts on the icloud (not related to icloud backup). unless I have that wrong?

15. canvasback13 macrumors regular

If you restore from an itunes back up, can you complete the whole process of setting up new phone with out wifi access?

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Normally I usually restore from back up, it's kind of an hassle to arrange apps and folders each time I set up new and time consuming.

When I get my 6+ in October, I plan on setting up at a new device. This is because my last iPhone was the 4S and the back up is pretty old. Luckily, my contacts are saved in icloud so I don't have any issues with that.

17. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Once the restore is complete you can.

18. groggy2333 thread starter macrumors regular

Side question...I exported all my photos/videos that I took with my iPhone onto my Mac a few weeks back. I can put them back on my iPhone using iTunes however they're not in my Camera Roll section, is there a way to move all them back to Camera Roll?

19. tombee macrumors member

I'm going through the same thought process.
    Leaning towards restoring from backup.
    Do I need to 1st upgrade my iphone5 ios to 8?
    Or can the backup "image" be from ios7 and still be able to restore from backup onto my new 6+ Friday?

20. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

not trying to barge in and ask a new question but maybe those that look here could help:

I have an iPhone 4.
    I have an iPhone 6 coming Friday

I'd like to sync my photos, messages, and some of the app data I have to the new phone (as well as App folders, etc)

BUT, the iPhone 4 cannot upgrade to iOS8. the iP6 will be on iOS8

can I restore from a backup or will that not work...wondering if it will put everything into the iOS8 structure.

anyone have any idea?

21. jchiou macrumors 6502

jchiou

I'm wondering the same thing. I have an iPhone 5 and I don't really want to fight to download iOS 8 especially if the servers are overloaded like they always seem to be with new iOS releases.

22. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you will be fine as Apple counts on this. I'm just anal and will load OS8 on my 5S than back that up for the 6. I'm bored waiting anyway. Lol

----------

I would in this case back up your 4 to computer so all your apps are there but than I would setup the 6 as new. You should still see all your apps in iTunes than just load everything up

The trick is just have everything on your computer so you can access it when you setup the new phone.