Restore from backup or setup as new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richardc1983, Mar 9, 2011.

1. richardc1983 macrumors regular

Hey everyone

Ive just restored my phone to 4.3 and its asked if I wanted to setup as new or restore from backup which I created before I restored it.

My phone was jailbroken before and was running on 4.1 so I thought best to restore the phone and wipe it clean rather than just updating.

Its now asking me the above question though, what is best option... does restoring from the backup put files back on that were there from the jailbreak or is it just my contacts and pictures etc that it restores?

Confused.com lol & I have googled it and found lots of different opinions with people all saying that restore from backup puts some app settings back on that you was using with jail break etc. I never used anything like SB settings just auto 3g and a few other tweaks etc like the option to use youtube and facetime over 3g.

So what do you think?

Thanks.

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

setup as new. esp. since you were jailbroken
    you don't want to run the risk that you'll pop some corruption back in your phone from a jailbroken backup IMO.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Restoring from the backup does not have anything to do with the jailbreak. Your running 4.3 which is not jailbroken yet. Even if it was, all restoring from backup does it restore the iphone to the state it was at its last sync. Jailbreak data is not transfered to itunes. (except with that app from Cydia that allows you to sync jailbroken apps to your computer). Its fine to restore from the last backup.

4. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, that has saved me a lot of trouble etc.

I have restored from backup and its running a treat so far. I also did the reset settings option in settings so as it had fresh network settings and everything else to be re input... not that it prob made much difference.

It always feels nice to have a clean install and simply updating the software wouldnt have been a good idea I think so glad I did a restore then did the restore from backup so my messages contacts etc are not lost. :)