Restore From Backup or Setup as New?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHeartapple2, Sep 19, 2015.

1. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I get the new iPhone every September and this year is no exception. In the past I usually just set my new iPhone up by restoring from a iCloud backup. I was thinking of setting up this years iPhone as a new device. Is there any benefit from doing this or should I just continue as always and simply restore from backup??

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Backup. Never understood why people think setting up as new helps anything.

It only backs up necessary files anyway.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

4. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I prefer setting up my iPhones as new. It allows me to purge apps I don't use without deleting them one by one and I feel like it's a new phone so I need to start fresh.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because if any corruption creeps in, that can end up in the backup.

There was one person here who had corruption in his messages database. Restoring as new fixes things but also leaves him without his messages.

It's generally good practice to restore as new, especially if you are a jailbreaker. That said, I have always restored from backup without any issues.

But that doesn't mean I should.

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I've always restored from backup. I went from 3GS -> iPhone 5 using the same backup, and will be doing the same for the 6s. Plus, I want all of my Health/Watch data preserved.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Always used a full backup for iTunes and never had a problem. I suppose if your device was "flakey" and had corrupted files that would be another issue, but for the other a full restore from backup is great!

8. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Had my 6 jailbroken on 8.4, and a lot of preference files and other crap get added into the backup. I'm starting fresh with my 6S so I don't have any of that extra baggage.

9. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Set up as new - only have done this for the 6 last year but it was great and helped get rid of things I didn't use.

10. Dominick624 macrumors regular

How would you know if your backup is corrupted anyway?